PDA

View Full Version : Might need to travel over bad gravel road... what to do?

repenttokyo
04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
your car will be fine. i would be more concerned about your paint than your suspension. make sure your parents follow your car, and not the other way around.

525iZA
04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
We owned a safari farm a coupla years ago and it seems the folks are planning a family trek there in a few weeks.

Thing is, we don't own any 4x4's or SUV's any more. My parents have an Audi A6 and I have my E34...

Thing is, there's about 30km of rather bad gravel road. Big rocks not really a problem, just corrugated and rutted. So ground clearance shouldn't be a problem.

My car sometimes has a bad knock effect when hitting certain bumps, especially with the right front wheel. I know bushes and tie rods are a problem on these cars and I'm planning to sort everything out within the next few months.

Thing is, will this gravel road ruin my already iffy suspension? Or am I just a bit paranoid? Might well be underestimating how tough my car is, but I'm not sure.

whiskychaser
04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
I used to have to really slow for the speed bumps near me. Until I found the end of my right hand front spring had broken off. Worth a quick look? 4 or 5 up plus suitcases on an unmade road isnt a journey I'd want to make. I'd be trying to dodge every pothole:)

525iZA
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I used to have to really slow for the speed bumps near me. Until I found the end of my right hand front spring had broken off. Worth a quick look? 4 or 5 up plus suitcases on an unmade road isnt a journey I'd want to make. I'd be trying to dodge every pothole:)

If my car goes along, we would be 2 persons max. Parents car would be loaded.

I'm considering taking my sis' VW Golf III, but I would really like to take a long distance trip in my car!