PDA

View Full Version : Sachs suspension kit on early E34

Bruno
04-15-2008, 06:52 AM
Ok, it is not suppose to fit the front for the shock mout...
I need to install it for a customer '89 525i, what year the kit is design for so I can buy the right strut mount for it.

I guess I need the newer mounts: 31 33 1 139 452, Strut Mount

Thanks.

RallyD
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
pretty sure the switch was 9/90 from 19mm to 22mm

JMI
04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Ok, it is not suppose to fit the front for the shock mout...
I need to install it for a customer '89 525i, what year the kit is design for so I can buy the right strut mount for it.

You are talking about the Sachs Preformance Kit, yes? I have a 1989 535i and had same info as you about Sachs not making a kit for the car. I ended up putting a "stock" Sachs kit on after deciding that lowering it was a bad idea, but you CAN get a Sachs Preformance Kit from BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com/) that will fit an 1989. Call and ask for Patrick.

Good luck

Jim

Bruno
04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Jim, it will fit... and I am installing it.
The problem is that the 1989 cars have a different upper strut mount. You need to get the rght one. And then you need to get the right washers, or drill the one you have to the right diameter.

That's pretty much it... I think. And Yes Patrick sold the kit to my customer...
I will get the newer style strut mount and will come back with an update.

You are talking about the Sachs Preformance Kit, yes? I have a 1989 535i and had same info as you about Sachs not making a kit for the car. I ended up putting a "stock" Sachs kit on after deciding that lowering it was a bad idea, but you CAN get a Sachs Preformance Kit from BMA (http://www.bmaparts.com/) that will fit an 1989. Call and ask for Patrick.

Good luck

Jim

Bruno
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Well it fits. You need to drill the washers to a larger diameter and that's pretty much it.

bimmerd00d
04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Well it fits. You need to drill the washers to a larger diameter and that's pretty much it.

What build date are you working with? A buddy is considering taking his sachs kit off and i have a little ol' '90 525i 5-spd that could use a freshening.

EngPhys09
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I installed the Sach Performance Kit on my 90 (m20) 525i. It was fairly simple, i'd say get everything new you can and don't reuse any of the old parts.

As everyone said you do need to drill out the washer, no biggy at all.
Some other issue were just to do with getting the old spring off, my nut on the top was completely striped so i had to cut through it with a hack saw and then eventually just figured out to drill out the nut.

Ride is much different, my old shocks were dead so the car floated. Not its much more planted, its not loose in the rear end, however I need some sway bars. One thing I notice is it is a much firmer ride, a little harsh on some larger bumps and pot holes, but on smooth pavement its great.
Puts a nice drop on the car also, note the picture below is with stock suspension.

Good luck with it. It took me around 2 good days, I had some problems with the fronts and the rears, hence I really did them about 3 times.

Cheers