PDA

View Full Version : Shakes

Boom n Zoom
04-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Whilst you have the rear in the air check the Gearbox mount as well as the driveline components.

:)

indierthanthou
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok so I am getting a shake from the rear of the car, usually anytime I drive my car after having driven it once before in the day, such as home from school. It doesn't always happen, and goes away at about 5k rpm. I don't get a clunk when I start from a stop (like I would if the guibo was bad), but I do get a clunk if I stomp on the pedal while cruising. The vibration goes away when the car is decelerating. It only happens when under acceleration or when cruising.

The car accelerates poorly, like I am hauling a trailer uphill through quicksand.

What is broke here? I am thinking clutch or rearend. It isn't the engine stumbling, though it does sound like it when driving, I tested this by disengaging the clutch and revving the engine while driving.

ahlem
04-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Put the rear of the car up on jack stands, safely. Block both sides of both front tires. Put the car in neutral have a friend rotate the rear tires by hand forward and back and look at the drive shaft, guibo and center bearing and axle shafts for slop. You may need to hold them against the rotating force. That may show you what is in need of attention. You may need to block one and then the other rear wheels to see everything rotating.

Dave M
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Good advice. As you're having 'performance issues', I would suspect the clutch. Any telltale odours?

Dave