PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP!!.....HONDA

Lordsneldon
04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
:) Hi guys, sorry to bring a non bmw question in, but i am very stuck with this and cannot findány help on the net:

apart from the array of e34's ive got i also own a 97 honda crv auto 2.0.

It has developed a fault which is:

it starts first time fine when cold i.e mornings, once warmed up it will still run fine until you switch it off, then go to restart it say 2 mins later it will then idle bad, and smoke for a few minutes. also there seems to be a small amount of pressure in the water system the next day!!! but it doesnt use any water and there doesnt look to be any oil in the water etc just a small haze of the white stuff on the underside of the rocker cover which i put down to bad oil???

The other day i was in the city and it overheated, so i switched it off, waited for 10 mins or so then restarted........................................a nd the amount of white/light grey smoke which came out the exhaust was unbelieveable it filled the whole street and wouldnt clear,, and it wouldnt idle properly it was the worst its been???

a compression test was consistent!!?
any suggestions greatly appreciated

Ross
04-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Black smoke? Fuel injectors leaking. Check the oil for fuel smell also.

Lordsneldon
04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Black smoke? Fuel injectors leaking. Check the oil for fuel smell also.

no it was light grey/white smoke, i will check that out though. I really appreciate your help on this one thanks a lot!!:D

whiskychaser
04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
no it was light grey/white smoke, i will check that out though. I really appreciate your help on this one thanks a lot!!:D
I bet your header tank is black. Yeah it might have some coolant in but its probably gone from anywhere else. Pull your plugs-you might find one is wet. Not with fuel but with water so my guess is head gasket. If so, dont buy one from from your local shop or you will be doing it again. Get a proper one. On a lot of Hondas you can get away with honing the bores and fitting new rings IF you need to go that far.

duckloads
04-15-2008, 08:18 AM
take your radiator cap off and make sure the radiator is full of water. Start the engine. If water blows out of the radiator, you certainly have a blown head gasket. It sounds to me like it is blown. Remove spark plugs and crank the engine over and watch for water to come out of plug hole(s).

Lordsneldon
04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
take your radiator cap off and make sure the radiator is full of water. Start the engine. If water blows out of the radiator, you certainly have a blown head gasket. It sounds to me like it is blown. Remove spark plugs and crank the engine over and watch for water to come out of plug hole(s).

Have done both of these and no water blows out, but i do get some smoke coming out of the spark plug holes when i'm cranking it, The header tank is nice and clean and still seems to have its water/antifreeze mix?
I am seriously thinking its the headgasket or even the head is cracked??? cheers