PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan

johngreenedc
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
My cooling fan lost one of the blades and I want to replace with a new fan. Are there any instructions available on the procedure. The car is a 1992 525i manual, 165000m
thanks
John

Sixdown
04-10-2008, 07:14 PM
get yourself a Bentley manual for the e34...It will help a lot.

Dave M
04-10-2008, 08:22 PM
If you plan on hacking away at it without a manual, just remember that its a left-hand thread, meaning turn it to the right to loosen. There are tidbits out there on the net about this procedure, so keep looking.

Dave

anonymous1
04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I had to remove the fan on mine when changing the fan clutch and the water pump. It's not too bad a job, depending on how stubborn the 32mm nut is. Think yours should come off the same way as mine.

Just need a 32mm spanner, a lump hammer and then a allan key (can't remember the size sorry) to remove the fan from the clutch.

Leave the fan belts on (this will hold the wheel the fan clutch is attached too in place) and then hit the spanner in clockwise (Left hand thread) direction to loosen. (Mine took a few sharp whacks before the nut loosened off - although on e34.sport his came off after only a couple). Then the nut will continue to undo freely and the fan, along with the clutch will come off as one. The fan itself is only held onto the clutch with 4 allan keys bolts. Just reverse the process to put it back on, giving it a couple of whacks again to make sure it has tighten itself back on.

N.B. On my friends E34 we had to remove the fan shroud as well, this is held in place with two rivet pins at the top. Pull the pin out, and then the other half will come away. The shroud should then just lift out and when you put it back in, it slots into a couple of brackets.

Hope that helps - first time I've put a procedure down in full - so any questions just ask.

Oh and over here, think a new fan is £30-£40.

Cheers

whiskychaser
04-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Like the Captain said, you take the fan and shroud off together. Dont forget to keep the fan vertical. Hope your fan comes off as easily as described. Mine wont. If you are in the US you can buy a tool to hold the pump pulley while you whack the 32 mill spanner. If not you can make one easily enough

e34.535i.sport
04-11-2008, 05:04 PM
+1... While your at it you could change the water pump and thermostat if you don't know their history... And the coolant if it's been a while. Have a look at this, should be all you need to know!

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37409&highlight=replacing+water+pump

johngreenedc
04-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your replies. The sharp whack with a hammer was what I was missing. But...after installing the fan and firing up the car it became obvious the fan broke due to the big wobble from a bad water pump, so that is my next job. I will start by using the link provided by "sport" above. Once again, Thanks

JD525IA
04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
My cooling fan lost one of the blades and I want to replace with a new fan. Are there any instructions available on the procedure. The car is a 1992 525i manual, 165000m
thanks
John

I can be done without going to all that trouble. I did mine (twice) not long ago. The first fan was a cheap, aftermarket unit, which broke easily once it got hot a few times. The last one was OEM BMW, so it should last. You do need to move the shroud around a bit, so remove the two top rivets like stated in the post above. The 4 allen sockets are not that hard to reach. The hardest part for me was getting them restarted once the new fan was on.

Good luck.

JD