PDA

View Full Version : windshield trim question

525i winter driver
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
is this whole piece the $150- a side windshield trim (ie 1, 2 , & 3)?

anyone ever do anything really clever and cheap to replace it?

damn i am so cheap... thanks...

mattyb
04-10-2008, 03:44 PM
sound right

myles
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes, 1,2 and 3 are one piece. I had a windscreen replaced on another E34 and the guy used a generic trim rubber that looks ok. I wouldn't do that on my favourite E34, but it does the job and doesn't look untidy.

525i winter driver
04-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Yes, 1,2 and 3 are one piece. I had a windscreen replaced on another E34 and the guy used a generic trim rubber that looks ok. I wouldn't do that on my favourite E34, but it does the job and doesn't look untidy.
thanks myles, my guy isn't too keen on doing that anyway... don't blame him...

i am relieved that the whole thing is one piece, i was worried that the windshield i picked up at the wreckers was missing piece #1 or something.

this is weird tho... on realoem there are two parts listed, one before 09/88 and another for after. the car is 06/88 but i don't know about the 'new' windshield... will either work? can anyone spot the difference between the photo in the first post and the trim on their newer car, aside from the fact that yours isn't so trashed and filthy?

myles
04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Sorry I've not examined a car any earlier than my 11/88 535, though what can be seen in your photo does look the same as my car, but the underside may be different.

Ross
04-12-2008, 10:44 AM
No, 1,2 and 3 are clearly different pieces. 1 being the clip that attatches to glass to retain the trim. 2 & 3 are the left and right trims and yes Virginia they are over $100 each side. The clip that covers the intersection is #4.

mattyb
04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
correct Ross

525i winter driver
04-13-2008, 08:24 AM
No, 1,2 and 3 are clearly different pieces. 1 being the clip that attatches to glass to retain the trim. 2 & 3 are the left and right trims and yes Virginia they are over $100 each side. The clip that covers the intersection is #4.

correct Ross
thanks guys ... err... that's not what i was trying to ask tho i think i made the question confusing with the 1,2,3s - myles got what i'm asking.

i want to know if i should order the trim to match the build date on my car (pre 09/88) or on the car that i have the w/s from (probably after 09/88), because it seems to have changed - i don't have a clue what the difference would be. the clips are the same... i'm guessing there's no difference but that's a $300 gamble if i get the wrong ones and as a result they bust during the install (indie is doing the job).

525i winter driver
05-02-2008, 06:16 AM
update:

so i bought the pre 9/88 trim and crossed my fingers. the parts-guy at the dealer wasn't sure but said he thought the difference was just a slight change in colour.
anyway - it fits - phew.

the guy installing it (acually a guy my indie brings in for windshields) didn't want to put clips on an old ws in case it cracked
(? - or because it would have taken longer?) so he just stuck it on with the urethane.

cost $120 labour + $80 for the black goop. + $100 ws + $300 2 trim pieces.

so the two plastic bits made up half the total cost of the whole job - nuts!

the ws is oem which is cool but has a stupid wiper arm scratch - i think it is fixable... i wanted to go oem as some people here have reported bad things about a/m glass
(thanks ben - i was going to go to lebeau until you posted) but i didn't want to pay for bmw glass :) so i did ok i think.

i have left over a bag of 16 new clips, 8 or so good used ones i pulled off the old one (just in case some of the new ones broke) and a new center clip (dude used the old one)
i think i can return them. the clips cost me $55! and the centre clip $17.
but i'll give the used ones away if anyone wants them.... not sure exactly how many but probably enough to hold some used trim on.

Ross
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
If you ever need to change that glass again expect to once more buy the moldings. Once they are glued in place they are destroyed if you try to remove them.

Sixdown
05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
You could use a generic rubber trim too. I've seen it done and it doesn't look too bad actually.

repenttokyo
05-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I reused my old moulding, and it doesn't line up flush with the roof anymore - so I get some wind noise. Might eventually purchase a new moulding.

525i winter driver
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I reused my old moulding, and it doesn't line up flush with the roof anymore - so I get some wind noise. Might eventually purchase a new moulding.
damn man - that is a bad experience you had there... hope it doesn't make a rust trap... there was some rust underneath a spot of bad trim on mine.

If you ever need to change that glass again expect to once more buy the moldings. Once they are glued in place they are destroyed if you try to remove them.
yeah, i wasn't there but my mechanic said he asked the guy about that and he said that it would for sure come off no problem. hopefully i won't need to but it will be interesting to hear what he says if i need to get it done again.

stevebu
05-02-2008, 11:22 PM
I just did my first attempt of a glued in glass replacement on the rear of my e32. If the trim is anything like those and it looks like it is, there is no cheap way to replace it. It is all one piece. Plus there some plastic clips that hold it secured to the glass. The glass really needs to be removed to replace those and the trim.
I managed to save the plastic retaining clips from my old glass and did use double sided tape to reattach them to the glass. BUT, the molding is supposed to be attached to the clips before they are attached to the glass so that the little cutouts can line up properly. I didn't realize this. I wanted to lay the glass down first and let it set in the urathane. When I went to install the molding I was off by a few mm on some of the clips.
I had a problem with the urathane not wanting to come out of the tube as it should, so I had to break off the outer lip, 2&3 in your picture and use silicone caulk to hold the rest of the molding to the glass.

A cheaper thing to look into, if you have to replace your glass anyway, is to use a rubber seal that fits the glass and covers the space of the pinch weld. I've seen the reults on a picture of an e32, but no other information was given except that it was done by Safelite.

On top of of everything else, when it rains hard, my rear window leaks alittle bit-I need to add more caulk!
Man this was long winded. Sorry.

Ross
05-03-2008, 08:15 AM
The clips don't go on the molding first. From the factory they are in the correct spots to line up. If the clips are positioned correctly on the glass the molding will snap on.
If you cant get new clips on an old glass glue the CLIPS in place. This way the $$$ molding still attatches properly. Once glued in that molding is junk.