PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Brake Light Switch Part Number?

leicesterboy15
04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Does anyone have the part no for the brake light switch that is used with the OBC check? I get the constant flashing warning on the dash intermittently, I also get the licence plate light / tail light etc message but the errors don't seem to be linked.

I have found these switches on ebay and think this is the one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370040436187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

This is the one without the OBC check apparently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-BRAKE-STOP-LIGHT-SWITCH-E30-E32-E34-E36-NEW_W0QQitemZ370040435000QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 70040435000

Where is this switch in a RHD car? Is it still on the left side or is it by the pedals on the right side? Is it a simple disconnect and replace job? Any pics or instructions? I'm sure i've seen some but I can't seem to find then now.

Paul in NZ
04-10-2008, 08:57 AM
i just went to the dealer.The switch on my car was just behind the glove box.Have a look there before you do anything else.Its much easier to change itif you use a peice of wood or similar from the front seat or steering wheel to hold the brake pedal down.

leicesterboy15
04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks Paul. Is yours left or right hand drive?

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Put your motor details in realoem and the damn part isnt listed. No wonder you are asking. I havent had the switch out but its got to be above your brake pedal. (I'm in the UK too so no translation required) Does it say brake light switch or just brake light? If its the latter try changing bulbs. They might look ok but may be duff.

Paul in NZ
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
i have a rhd drive car and can assure you the switch was not above the brake pedal.Some(if not all) rhd drive cars had a rod going from right to left.
the rod and the switch are shown on this diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD12&mospid=47382&btnr=35_0059&hg=35&fg=05
the brake lght switch causes the obc to say brke light circuit or similar

leicesterboy15
04-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm sure the error says 'brake lights'. Sometimes I get '1 brake light' and it is usually a valid error, this error flashes up and pauses for a bit and then disappears like the other messages. The false alarm is like one I've never seen, it comes up with the error which I think says 'brake lights' and just stays there flashing constantly until I turn the ignition off, then it bleeps in the normal way. Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna have to pull out the trim and see if I can find it, then I'll report back before you get into a fight about which side its on :-)

bubba966
04-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Brake lights is a bulb problem. Brake light circuit is the switch.

Change out the brake lights with OEM bulbs and that should fix it. Seems that non-BMW bulbs can not always present the proper resistence to the circuit so the computer (most likely the LKM) sees the bulb as being burned out, when in reality it's not.

I've had good luck with German made Sylvanias.

Paul in NZ
04-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm sure the error says 'brake lights'. Sometimes I get '1 brake light' and it is usually a valid error, this error flashes up and pauses for a bit and then disappears like the other messages. The false alarm is like one I've never seen, it comes up with the error which I think says 'brake lights' and just stays there flashing constantly until I turn the ignition off, then it bleeps in the normal way. Thanks for the info guys, I'm gonna have to pull out the trim and see if I can find it, then I'll report back before you get into a fight about which side its on :-)

its easy to remove the glove box,look up behind it and you wil see two black latches,you relaese those and the whole glovebox can be removed.I predict you will see the brake light switch right in front of you.

Ferret
04-14-2008, 01:48 AM
its easy to remove the glove box,look up behind it and you wil see two black latches,you relaese those and the whole glovebox can be removed.I predict you will see the brake light switch right in front of you.

BRAKE LIGHTS flashing in the display means the OBC is throwing its toys right outta the pram - it thinks you've got both brake lights out in total and wont let you forget it...

You've got a common circuit fault somewhere then - the switch may be the culprit but I'd also look at earthing points and if the switch doesnt fix it, get ready with the soldering iron and attack the LKM!

leicesterboy15
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
You've got a common circuit fault somewhere then - the switch may be the culprit but I'd also look at earthing points and if the switch doesnt fix it, get ready with the soldering iron and attack the LKM!

Bollocks, exactly what I didn't want to hear! I have the poise and patience of a rhino, not good for fiddly soldering. If its any help, I 'think' theres a link between rain and the error, it seems to happen only (or more often) when it rains. If I turn the car off once its warmed up and turn it back on again, most of the time the error does not re-appear.

whiskychaser
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
i have a rhd drive car and can assure you the switch was not above the brake pedal.Some(if not all) rhd drive cars had a rod going from right to left.
the rod and the switch are shown on this diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD12&mospid=47382&btnr=35_0059&hg=35&fg=05
the brake lght switch causes the obc to say brke light circuit or similar
had another look and and the diagram is very similar to whats one mine. If the master cylinder is on the near side (for us) there has to be a link. But I'm still in favour of changing the bulbs. Have you got 21w in there?