PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Door Hinge Replacement

Super90
04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Removed the old hinge. Put new hinge on the door and went to snap the hinge/door combo to the mount on the car. It just doesn't snap ! Keeps coming out of the mount on the car.

Took the old bits over and they snap back in, but the new one doesn't. Part looks exactly the same. Is there some sort of trick here ? It looks obvious.

Or, is this an aftermarket part that doesn't work? I bought it from these fellows https://www.autohausaz.com

The part manufacturer was listed as MTC, the same one as our friends at BMA have, but was $10 vs. $18. I bought a few other bits which are all from the normal OE suppliers and all significantly less, I hate to say. Trying a new vendor for some of the small, cheap bits, but maybe should have stayed with Yves and Patrick.

TIA

Super90
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Hinge goes on door, but the hinge will not hold tight in the mount on the body.

A bit ago, I took the hinge out of the door and tried to just the hinge to the body. The little clips won't squeeze in and hold tight. The fit is too tight. I guess it's off the the stealer for their piece. What are you guessing $35 for the same part ??!!

Thanks fellas.

Adnan
04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi,

I think there must be a new mold out there for these hinges. I had the same problem with the one I got from BMA - fitted fine on the door but not on the car.

I ended up taking an Xacto knife and whittling the offending plastic till it fitted. Interestingly, the first time I had to replace it, back in 1998, the part fitted perfectly, but that was from the dealer. Might be worth paying the extra bucks if theirs still fit.

Regards,
Adnan

bubba966
04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
So, you can get the new hinge to mount onto the fuel door, but can't get that assembly to mount to the car?

I got a hinge from Pelican parts for $9 http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE34/POR_BE34_BDYchs_pg5.htm#item40

Looks like it's probably the same as it's listed as being made by MTC. Got mine on though the fit was a bit tight.

Does yours not go all the way on? Or is it too loose to stay on?

I seem to recall that I had the biggest problem getting it to fully seat on the door as that was seriously tight. I don't recall the assembly being to big of a pain to fit to the car once I got the hinge fully installed onto the door.

leicesterboy15
04-09-2008, 05:32 PM
My problem was on the door as well, it was really tight. I had no problem on the car though but I think mine was from a dealer, from what I remember there is no trick, you just clip it in.

Super90
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Got the dealer part. It fits perfect. Aftermarket part is not the same. The clips are not holding the hinge. It's going back.

E34-520iSE
08-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Just revisiting an old thread here. I am having the same trouble fitting the DEALER supplied hinge to my car. The flap clips to the hinge just great but the hinge won't lock to the car body. It's either a seriously tight fit or the paint is too thick in that area. I'll try filing the clips down a little and report back.

Cheers,

Shaun M

E34-520iSE
08-14-2008, 09:44 AM
OK I gave in and superglued the hinge in place after breaking one of the retaining lugs:(. If it doesn't stay put I guess I'll be off to get a used flap & hinge from the breakers. Bummer!

Shaun M