PDA

View Full Version : Best OEM style rotor?

Russell
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
What is the best Brand of OE style rotor? My ATE rotors warped and had to be lightly turned after 27,000 miles and now they seem to be doing it again after 13,000 more.

FYI, upper thrust arms (Lemforder/750i bushings) and struts have been replaced within the past two years

I used ATE rotors purchased from BMA and raybestos QS ceramic pads. Thinking about another brand or does it matter? TIA

Ferret
04-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I've never had problems with the brembo discs, with Textar pads! They work quite well!

BMWCCA1
04-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Any replacement rotor from a BMW dealer works fine. If you're purchasing from the aftermarket, I've had the best luck with Balo which is an OE brand.

Tiger
04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
My favorite are the Ate Powerdisc... the slotted type. I think they call it premium one now... I find solid disc performance subpar when compared to slotted or cross driled.

bsell
04-09-2008, 03:46 AM
What is the best Brand of OE style rotor? My ATE rotors warped and had to be lightly turned after 27,000 miles and now they seem to be doing it again after 13,000 more.

FYI, upper thrust arms (Lemforder/750i bushings) and struts have been replaced within the past two years

I used ATE rotors purchased from BMA and raybestos QS ceramic pads. Thinking about another brand or does it matter? TIA

Hate to ask the obvious, but are you torquing your lug nuts to the proper torque spec and in a crisscross pattern? Are the mating surfaces where the wheels meet the discs clean and free of bumpy stuff?

I ask the above as many 'tire' shops (and others) put the lugs on 'gorrila' tight in the miss-guided idea that the wheels won't fall off that way. This overtightening pulls the hub and rotor combo out of round over time and heating cycles.

If junk gets between the back of the wheel and the rotor, the assembly can be pulled around by the lump in the middle, even at specified torque.

Brian

Tiger
04-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Good point... forgot about that...

Russell
04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Good point, hope to recheck it all this weekend before I purchase anything. I just had new Micheline Exalto A/S tires put on 3,000 miles ago and I "think" they used a torque wrench at the specs I requested. However, I was in the waiting room BSing at that time.

healtoeit
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
What is the best Brand of OE style rotor?
I'm a big fan of EBC rotors/pads, the rotors are dimpled and semi-slotted (not all the way through, so their is no issue with cracking). They also work as a wear indicator to tell you when the rotors are done! they are quiet and help braking performance a fair ammount.

philbyil
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Been using the Powerdiscs and EBC Redstuffs for 5 years now. No problems and they stop like you hit a brick wall:D