PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light - 1995 530ia

glen-sj
04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
The check engine light came on during my evening commute on my 1995 530ia with 53K miles. I was two miles into my commute home, the light came on while waiting at a stop light. The check engine light went off as I started to move. The car run fine, didn't notice any driveability issues and the check engine light did not come back on for rest of the commute (22 miles).

Did the stomp test when I got home - code 1213. Bentley code 1213 say Oxygen sensor #2 lean/rich control stop. Corrective action:Check for intake air leaks or reasons for rich mixtures.

Air filter is clean.
Spark plugs and valve cover gaskets replace 2000 miles ago.
Any advice or ideas where to start looking?

Thanks in advance.
glen-sj

ahlem
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Boy does that sound familiar. I just got done chasing a similar condition on my 535. My situation turned out to be due to a lean out due to a bad fuel pump. I suggest you replace the fuel filter if it hasn't been replaced recently. If you have access to a fuel pressure guage you may be able to check fuel pressure to rule out the lean condition. I changed my O2 sensor since it was due and checked every hose known to man. I even changed a coolant temp sensor. It was the fuel pump. If you start getting the check engine light coming on at higher rpm and acceleration I saw that too. If your air cleaner got real wet right before the light came on or is dirty, it can do that in extreme cases.