PDA

View Full Version : doors lock automatically?

DDK's 525
04-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I am new to BMW's and have a 90' 525. The doors have started to lock on there own after 20 or so seconds (i haven't timed it). It did not do this until yesterday at the gas station with the keys in the ignition:( . Is there a way to turn this on and off or is there another issue going on?

Thanks! Daryl

whiskychaser
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I am new to BMW's and have a 90' 525. The doors have started to lock on there own after 20 or so seconds (i haven't timed it). It did not do this until yesterday at the gas station with the keys in the ignition:( . Is there a way to turn this on and off or is there another issue going on?

Thanks! Daryl
That could be a bit of a problem if you were outside putting the fuel in. I dont see this as a feature anybody would want so your problem must lie elsewhere. I dont think you have a remote so could it be an iffy driver's door lock actuator?

DDK's 525
04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
That could be a bit of a problem if you were outside putting the fuel in. I dont see this as a feature anybody would want so your problem must lie elsewhere. I dont think you have a remote so could it be an iffy driver's door lock actuator?

I do have a remote. I dont think it would be an actuator as it seems to do it after a set time of closing the door. I will time it and see how long the delay is.

**edit**
The doors lock after 30 secconds. they did not do this before yesterday.

shogun
04-08-2008, 11:40 PM
That is not standard. Do you have an after market locking/remote/alarm system installed?

DDK's 525
04-09-2008, 12:24 AM
That is not standard. Do you have an after market locking/remote/alarm system installed?
It must be after market. When I lock the doors w/ the remote, the parking lights flash. When they lock on their own the lights do not flash which tells me some other function is causing the doors to lock. I have only had the car about a month so I am still figuring things out.

t.wak
04-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah that feature wasn't available on the E34, whereas on the E39 there's an option for the doors to lock soon after you start driving so unwanted people cannot get in.

DDK's 525
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I am getting more confused. My doors have always locked as soon as i start the engine and then unlock when I turn the car off. Is this not a typical thing for a U.S. spec e34 to do? That does not bother me, I just want to stop the doors from locking after I leave the car.

Spice Boy
04-09-2008, 04:44 PM
You have an after market alarm fitted and you have a few options...

1. find out the make of the alarm, get the instructions and find out how to de-activate it... (without the make of the alarm, you have no chance of working it out)

2. dont leave your keys in the car while your not in it... (pretty much a good tip all round really)

What does your alarm fob look like?

DDK's 525
04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
First, thank you all for helping me figure this out. my mystery is slowly working it self out.

The remote says "Auto-mate" which sounds like it was a dealer installed unit. I can not find any install instructions on line, all I can find is the user guide which does not have the programing instructions.

does anybody have this type of alarm in there car? if so do you have the install instructions? BTW it is the type that has a small toggle switch in place of the "valet" button.

bubba966
04-10-2008, 11:20 AM
First, thank you all for helping me figure this out. my mystery is slowly working it self out.

The remote says "Auto-mate" which sounds like it was a dealer installed unit. I can not find any install instructions on line, all I can find is the user guide which does not have the programing instructions.

does anybody have this type of alarm in there car? if so do you have the install instructions? BTW it is the type that has a small toggle switch in place of the "valet" button.

Doubt it was a dealer installed alarm as the dealer would've just installed the BMW alarm.

Can't add anything else as I've not heard of "Auto-Mate" stuff before, so I wouldn't know where to point you.