PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Gear problem since oil change

anonymous1
04-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Hi,

Thanks to people who gave advise on the oil change - did it on Sunday and was pretty easy in the end with the info.

However, since changing the fluid I am now experiencing a problem. It was fine at first, but when I drove it yesterday after leaving it sitting for the night, the car wouldn't change out of first into second. Only gears I had were first and reverse. I could have forced it into second, but definately didn't want to go quietly. After the car warmed up, it then became fine and was shifting smoother than it did before the switch.

I used ATF from the stealer, but mixed it with some Lucas oil, which I had been recommended to use as the gearbox was notchy before hand. I wondering if this oil could have been too thick for the box. I got the version that goes in manual boxes, but not sure if I should have got the one for auto boxes, to correspond with using ATF? It does say on the lucas oil that it can be mixed with ATF though.

Any suggestions - my hope is that this is something that will go away and is just being caused due to new oil.

Cheers in advance.

Adnan
04-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Hi,

Lucas oil is probably not a good thing for the gearbox. The notchiness in the Getrags is pretty typical so your best bet is to use an oil that behaves the same hot or cold. Of course, you would want it to act like it is warm, at all times.

Redline Oil makes a synthetic ATF which is called D4ATF, I believe. It is excellent for the Getrags (I used it in my 535i for years) and it addresses the notchiness. Another good product is Swepco, which comes standard with some Porche models. I have used it too and it works very well.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adnan

Ross
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
If the oil change is all that was done then it seems the problem.
You don't need to use BMW's ATF by the way.
I'd change back to plain ATF.

Washburn
04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm confused. Do you mean you put automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox and now it doesnt work right?

Hmmmm....I read his note as if it were an Auto transmission.

Washburn
04-08-2008, 08:19 AM
I would say if you mixed manual gearbox oil in with ATF, that's going to be your problem. Colder = worse. It's not just a lubricant...it's hydraulic fluid too. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with home brews...use the proper spec ATF and it should be good.

whiskychaser
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm confused. Do you mean you put automatic transmission fluid in a manual gearbox and now it doesnt work right?

anonymous1
04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'll change the oil out again at the weekend. I still have over a litre of the BMW ATF, so think I'll stick with that for now and just leave the Lucas out. I presume as long as I don't force the gearbox in the meantime that I won't damage anything? Seen as it's only an issue with the oil being cold I mean.

I'll look into the Redline in the meantime and if I can get it in time for the weekend, will probably replace it with that. Not sure if any of the places round here will do it though. Mainly seem to advertise Castrol and the likes.

Cheers

anonymous1
04-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah it is ATF that I have put in the box. Checked with BM and for the manual box I have it should take the ATF. I was then recommended to use some Lucas oil, which is supposed to be fine mixing with ATF, but since doing this job, the gearbox doesn't like anything other than 1st gear when it is cold. If the car is stationary, then all gears go in, soon as I pull off, the car won't shift from first. There is a version of the Lucas Oil for Auto boxes, so not sure if I would have been better with this since I was using ATF, but rather than risk anything else, think I'll just swap back to just ATF. The Lucas oil itself has the consistency of maple syrup, if not slightly thicker. Had to heat the two oils together quite alot to allow me to pour in.

Cheers

whiskychaser
04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah it is ATF that I have put in the box. Checked with BM and for the manual box I have it should take the ATF. I was then recommended to use some Lucas oil, which is supposed to be fine mixing with ATF, but since doing this job, the gearbox doesn't like anything other than 1st gear when it is cold. If the car is stationary, then all gears go in, soon as I pull off, the car won't shift from first. There is a version of the Lucas Oil for Auto boxes, so not sure if I would have been better with this since I was using ATF, but rather than risk anything else, think I'll just swap back to just ATF. The Lucas oil itself has the consistency of maple syrup, if not slightly thicker. Had to heat the two oils together quite alot to allow me to pour in.

Cheers
Never tried maple syrup but if you have to heat it up to put it in it cant be right. ATF in my auto is about as thick as engine oil! Get the box as hot as you can, drop the lot and start again. As the man said, you know it makes sense

yaofeng
04-10-2008, 02:38 AM
I used the regular ATF I bought from Pepboys on my 95 525i gear box. I don't know if it is Mercon or Dexron.

anonymous1
04-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I have decided that I'm going to swap the fluid out as soon as possible, as it's impossible to drive while the box is cold.

I have looked for Redline over here and haven't found anywhere local that sells it and can't get it in time for the weekend. Only options I have is either to stick with fluid from the stealer, or alternatively there is Castrol ATF or Comma ATF - both conform to Dexron III. JUst wondering if anyone has used these before or if they would recommend simply sticking with the BM stuff?

Hopefully I'll be able to get all of the mixed ATF/Lucas out of the box... Planning to drive it for a while and then drop the fluid straight away, so should still be hot enough.

Cheers

bubba966
04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Possible for you to find this? https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

If not, the Castrol ATF would probably be the way I'd go. It's probably the same stuff that's in the BM bottle, without the price tag.

anonymous1
04-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Cheers for the input on this one.

I swapped out the gearbox oil again yesterday and went to just ATF without any of the Lucas oil and now shifts alot better, whether it's cold or hot. Got Castrol in the end and this is better than the old stuff that was in it. (Although I don't know if the PO ever had the oil changed before and if they did what oil was used) Seems to have made the shifting smoother in general, more noticeable when cold. No longer have to use a pry bar of a morning... Which is always good! :p