PDA

View Full Version : Bodyshop says non-M foglights don't work with M front bumper...what gives?

repenttokyo
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I have washers on my bumper, and let me warn you - they leak like a bastard. I eventually removed my pump for them and sealed off the tubing.

repenttokyo
04-07-2008, 10:52 AM
when i had the front bumper off for some bodywork last fall i found out why my headlight washers don't work... somebody had jammed old spark plugs into the tubes! must have leaked like crazy - the tank seems to be seperate it's just in front of the windscreen right in the middle (i think some models have a coolant tank here?) - that leaks like hell too... fortunately my regular wiper system works ok. i'm planning a major overhaul of that whole area this summer but haven't really done a proper investigation yet - sorry. i agree they look ultra-cool.

on my car, it's the same tank as the regular washers - there are 3 pumps in this tank, one for the windshield, one for the lights, one for the intensive wash.

Denton
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm getting a used (in poorer shape than expected :( ) front M5 bumper painted.

The bodyshop said my current stock Hella projector fogs won't work with the M5 bumper, they think the M5 bumper needs special fogs. Has anyone been though this? Is there a trick to get them to work that the bodyshop is missing? I checked www.realoem.com (oddly, it didn't have a pictogram of the M bumper) and talked to Yves at BMA on the phone, he said they're the same fogs, same PN.

Also, the bumper is the Canadian model with the headlight washers. Does anyone have good spare washers? The nozzles are busted. I'm going to keep the washer assembly as I actually like the look.

525i winter driver
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm going to keep the washer assembly as I actually like the look.

I have washers on my bumper, and let me warn you - they leak like a bastard. I eventually removed my pump for them and sealed off the tubing.
when i had the front bumper off for some bodywork last fall i found out why my headlight washers don't work... somebody had jammed old spark plugs into the tubes! must have leaked like crazy - the tank seems to be seperate it's just in front of the windscreen right in the middle (i think some models have a coolant tank here?) - that leaks like hell too... fortunately my regular wiper system works ok. i'm planning a major overhaul of that whole area this summer but haven't really done a proper investigation yet - sorry. i agree they look ultra-cool.

Denton
04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not planning on hooking them up then...it will just be tubing, etc. just sitting there. There's no way to eliminate them (cheaply) so they stay.

About the fog lights: What I'm worried is that the fogs were ripped/badly taken out of the bumper, breaking the brackets. Hopefully there's a way around that.

BMWDriver
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
About the fog lights: What I'm worried is that the fogs were ripped/badly taken out of the bumper, breaking the brackets. Hopefully there's a way around that.

Would it be that they're trying to cover for their mistake?

Denton
04-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Would it be that they're trying to cover for their mistake?

Good thought but I don't think so.

Here's a quick rundown.
I get hit by some guy. His insurance buys me a new bumper. Instead of getting a new OE bumper, I buy a used M5 bumper (the only one in the country advertised) through an auto salvage store.

This store said the bumper was in fine condition. I paid $375 for it.

Once at the body shop, the shop foreman (great guy, seriously) showed me where the bumper was cracked, how it had been hit and repaired before. He can work with it but it's nowhere close to optimal.

I haven't talked to the folks at the store I bought it from. I want to figure out what's wrong, then have a talk once I completely understand the problem.

bubba966
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
RealOEM lists the foglights as the same on M & non-M applications.

And I don't recall any difference in fog between a friend's '93 M5 (M5 bumper), another friend's '95 525iT (regular bumper), and my M-Sport (M-Tech/M-Sport bumper).

Sounds more like your 'new' M5 bumper has a problem in the fog mounting area.

Did you get the bumper as a complete assembly? Like does it have the aluminum reinforcement, tow hook covers, and all of that other stuff?

Might be that you're missing a part of the bumper that the fogs mount to. I know that the bumper skin isn't the only thing different on the M5 bumper over the regular bumper. Lots of other parts are different too...

Denton
04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Sounds more like your 'new' M5 bumper has a problem in the fog mounting area.

Did you get the bumper as a complete assembly? Like does it have the aluminum reinforcement, tow hook covers, and all of that other stuff?

Might be that you're missing a part of the bumper that the fogs mount to. I know that the bumper skin isn't the only thing different on the M5 bumper over the regular bumper. Lots of other parts are different too...

Damn, I didn't get the reinforcement...are they the same or different? My non-M reinforcement is still good.

I ordered the passenger side tow hook cover as well as the delete strip today.

I just need a list of all the things this bumper needs. Hopefully the reinforcements are the same, this will kill me if they're different.

I won't be too upset if the fogs have to wait to go in, but I really want this bumper put on.

bubba966
04-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I was asking about the reinforcement mostly to determine how complete you got the bumper. No, it's no different between the US M5 and US non-M5. But it's different than that used on the Euro models. How so I'm not sure.

Only one tow hook cover on the bumper? I've not tried taking them off the M5's bumper. But my M-Sport has two of those. The M-Sport also has integrated tow hooks, while the M5 has the screw-in hook.

Gotta say, the M-Sport continues to surprise me as to what's different between it and other E34's. The guys at the parts counter at the dealer also greatly enjoy looking things up for my car...

Denton
04-07-2008, 06:12 PM
I was asking about the reinforcement mostly to determine how complete you got the bumper. No, it's no different between the US M5 and US non-M5. But it's different than that used on the Euro models. How so I'm not sure.

Only one tow hook cover on the bumper? I've not tried taking them off the M5's bumper. But my M-Sport has two of those. The M-Sport also has integrated tow hooks, while the M5 has the screw-in hook.

Gotta say, the M-Sport continues to surprise me as to what's different between it and other E34's. The guys at the parts counter at the dealer also greatly enjoy looking things up for my car...

The bumper is Sebringgrau. It does have headlight washers, which is what made me think it's a Canadian car. It did have Euro trim, deleting the trim lamps. I don't know what it is!

I didn't know they had a tow hook cover? They have removable panels (that are painted body color) to the inside of the fogs.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-07-2008, 06:22 PM
on my 91 M5 and my other e34s

Denton
04-07-2008, 06:45 PM
So does anyone know if it was only Canadian cars that came with the headlight washers? It could have been a Japanese M5...

bubba966
04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Foglights are the same for both Euro & US cars.

And I think you could get headlight washers everywhere but the US.

What's the part # on the bumper?

Oh, and those removable panels to the inside of each fog are where the tow hooks are (as they are on my M-Sport), or screw into (as they are in my buddies '93 M5).

Denton
04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Foglights are the same for both Euro & US cars.

And I think you could get headlight washers everywhere but the US.

What's the part # on the bumper?

Oh, and those removable panels to the inside of each fog are where the tow hooks are (as they are on my M-Sport), or screw into (as they are in my buddies '93 M5).

I'll get the PN tomorrow when I visit the body shop. I'll also be armed with my camera.

I'll bet it's like your buddy's M5.

Denton
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0363.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0364.jpg

It does have the reinforcement...you can also see the tubing for the washers
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0365.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0366.jpg

Denton
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0367.jpg

Driver's side...in identical condition:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0372.jpg

See the broken slats? Not too noticable, I'm not worried
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0374.jpg

Denton
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM
These bumpers were in pretty rough shape, but that's what happens when you have to find rare used parts that are at least 15 years old.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0375.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0376.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0377.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Georgia4Runner/Body%20Shop/IMG_0378.jpg

bubba966
04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
That's a totally different looking reinforcement.

I see nothing wrong with the fog light mounting area. Not sure why there'd be a problem mounting the fogs. I kinda want to go pull my bumper off right now and have a look at mine. But the weather here right now isn't so pleasant.

I've got slats kinda like that on my bumper. But mine are a different shape. My broken slats were causing the lower part of the bumper to sag a slight bit. Enough so that I'd catch the bumper on a lot more things than I should've. And catching the bottom of the bumper on things just made it worse. But my solution to the problem doesn't look like it'll work on your bumper.

Denton
04-08-2008, 07:34 PM
That's a totally different looking reinforcement.

I see nothing wrong with the fog light mounting area. Not sure why there'd be a problem mounting the fogs. I kinda want to go pull my bumper off right now and have a look at mine. But the weather here right now isn't so pleasant.

I've got slats kinda like that on my bumper. But mine are a different shape. My broken slats were causing the lower part of the bumper to sag a slight bit. Enough so that I'd catch the bumper on a lot more things than I should've. And catching the bottom of the bumper on things just made it worse. But my solution to the problem doesn't look like it'll work on your bumper.
I think it's a Euro bumper. Sorry but I forgot to get the part number!

If it's a Euro, will it have any problems bolting up? Any special parts?

The "other" board said the fog area is perfect and unharmed. They said no have the body shop install the fogs after the cover is put on...sounds odd but apparently it's easier.

The MTech bumper is a bit different than the M5 bumper. The MTech has "spears" while the M5 one doesn't. We'll see if the broken slats cause the lip to hang. I certainly hope not, and I do have to retrain myself in parking.

bubba966
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
"Spears"?

I'm very familiar with the Mtech bumper as that's what they installed on the M-Sport's. Had mine off a few times. Haven't pulled the bumper off an M5 yet.

It's really easier to mount the fogs with the bumper on? I'd imagine it'd be easier to mount the bumper without the fogs.

I've never tried to mount a Euro bumper onto a US car before. But it should be able to be done with little or no fuss. Looks like the reason the reinforcement is different is due to the headlight cleaning system. Otherwise it'd probably be the same. I really don't think the bumper skin itself is any different. Will have to check later.

And while it looks like the slats won't currently cause it to hang on it's own (it doesn't look like the lip has sagged in the pics) it might be a little lower at higher speeds due to the wind resistance. But at those speeds you're not going to encounter things that would scrape the lip anyways.

And yes, be very careful about parking. Your nose isn't nearly as close to the ground as mine is (I can't pull overtop of any parking stop), but you don't want to catch it on a parking stop and break it.