PDA

View Full Version : instrument cluster issues

nizmainiac
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
this has happened twice now, i'm driving to work and the dash display is working fine then all of a sudden all the gauges and display go all at the same time, and all i get is the warning light in the bottom right hand corner of the dash, i get to work, leave the car for about an hour, switch the igintion on and everythings fine, at the moment it happens once a week, is there something else that controls the dash cluster that i can check?
Thanks in advance guys
Rob

karl1171
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a dry joint: circuit heats up slightly then breaks contact.

Could also try replacing the capacitors, there's details on bmwe34.net

Phatty5BMW
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
this has happened twice now, i'm driving to work and the dash display is working fine then all of a sudden all the gauges and display go all at the same time, and all i get is the warning light in the bottom right hand corner of the dash, i get to work, leave the car for about an hour, switch the igintion on and everythings fine, at the moment it happens once a week, is there something else that controls the dash cluster that i can check?
Thanks in advance guys
Rob

Mine has been going out like that also, a smack to the top of the dash makes everything work again, it acts like the key is just put into ignition 2 position, fasten belts, then all the dings afterwords ;) I haven't had time to mess with it any lately.

nizmainiac
04-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Mine has been going out like that also, a smack to the top of the dash makes everything work again, it acts like the key is just put into ignition 2 position, fasten belts, then all the dings afterwords ;) I haven't had time to mess with it any lately.
if in doubt get the hammer out eh? i give that one a try the next time it happens:)

Scott C
04-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Interestingly I have the same problem. Mine was preceded by false Trans program issues. I actually have a new (yes 800$) cluster board and the problem is still present. My belief is that there is a loose or broken or corroded wire under the dash (power or ground). I hope to fix when after I get my summer car ready to go.

Phatty5BMW
04-09-2008, 07:03 PM
if in doubt get the hammer out eh? i give that one a try the next time it happens:)

LoL don't use a hammer, just a firm slap to the top of the dash works well for mine :)

nizmainiac
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
LoL don't use a hammer, just a firm slap to the top of the dash works well for mine :)

only joking dude;)