PDA

View Full Version : Loose rear wheel... Can you tighen collar nut?

Rick L
04-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I noticed my driver side rear wheel is loose. Likely bad wheel bearing or loose collar nut. Can you tighten the rear collar nut or do I need to replace rear wheel bearing? There isn’t any noise coming from the bearings.

winfred
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
if the wheel is loose theres some kind of destruction going on, it's beyond a simple tightning

Rick L
04-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Can you be more specific? Are you saying the wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced? I have tighten collar nut on other cars without changing wheel bearing and that seemed to fix the loose wheel issue. But I also heard that certain cars you can’t tighten collar nut.

if the wheel is loose theres some kind of destruction going on, it's beyond a simple tightning

winfred
04-05-2008, 10:12 PM
the bearing is a sealed unit and requires special tools to replace, it runs a stub axle through the bearing but tightening it shouldn't have any effect on the bearing

e34.535i.sport
04-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I suppose tightening it up can't hurt if its just the nut come loose it'll be problem solved... If its still iffy you'll need to change the bearing more than likely.

Rick L
04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I heard changing rear wheel bearing is a b*t*h so I'll take in. Thanks!

the bearing is a sealed unit and requires special tools to replace, it runs a stub axle through the bearing but tightening it shouldn't have any effect on the bearing

winfred
04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
you need to pull the axle to even see the nut for the stub shaft, it's on the inside

I suppose tightening it up can't hurt if its just the nut come loose it'll be problem solved... If its still iffy you'll need to change the bearing more than likely.

e34.535i.sport
04-07-2008, 02:18 AM
you need to pull the axle to even see the nut for the stub shaft, it's on the inside

Now that I didn't know... If thats the case I'd be taking it to a shop!

Does he not mean the big (36mm?) nut on the outside of the hub?

Rick L
04-07-2008, 06:58 AM
For the rear, it's inside like Winfred described. You have to take the drive axle shaft off to get to it. That's not hard but changing rear bearing is. Need special tool to pull old bearing and push in new bearing. But if just collar nut tighening, I could do myself...

Now that I didn't know... If thats the case I'd be taking it to a shop!

Does he not mean the big (36mm?) nut on the outside of the hub?

e34.535i.sport
04-07-2008, 07:20 AM
For the rear, it's inside like Winfred described. You have to take the drive axle shaft off to get to it. That's not hard but changing rear bearing is. Need special tool to pull old bearing and push in new bearing. But if just collar nut tighening, I could do myself...

Humble apologies - I thought we were thinking of the same thing! I hope you get it sorted without too much bother...