PDA

View Full Version : 6 spd box, parts available?

Ferret
04-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if the 6 speed 540/M5 box shares parts with any other getrag box?

I've been told that it's unrepairable as bmw/getrag do not supply parts, only rebuilds?

I'm getting symptoms of 1/2/5/6 perfect gears - 3 wobbles under load, 4 crashes if you shift into it too quick. After chatting with one of the seasoned bmw techs he's said this is a classic sign of the internal shift mechanism gone up the swanny - however the synchro not working in 4 makes me think there could be a deeper problem.

The bmw tech guy said to throw a shift rebuild kit at it (available from the dealer for about £80) that replaces all the internal shift parts other than the forks. I'm tempted, but would like to know if any of you guys have come across this before!

Paul in NZ
04-05-2008, 11:19 PM
i know a mate had his gearbox repaired(the 5 spd in the 535).It used to jump out of first

whiskychaser
04-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Had a look around and it seems Getrag dont supply parts or manuals. Bit rum when you can get bits for ZF autos no problem. I can tell you BMW UK have
ZF staff on site. They may have people from Getrag too. They may be able to give you some advice and save you some leg work