PDA

View Full Version : OT - My son is heading to Iraq tonight

Paul in NZ
04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
hope he keeps safe.Whilst i have issues about why we westerners are there,and why the US and Britain ignored the rest of the worlds opinion on the timing of the invasion,there are two groups of people who now bear the brunt of the activities there.The families of the troops deployed(and the troops themselves) there,and most of all the Iraqi civilians caught up in this power struggle.Thousands upon thousands have been killed and wounded.I hope the matter can be resolved and soon.

repenttokyo
04-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I am sorry dude. My gf's former roommates both did two tours in Afghanistan over the past 2 years (I'm Canadian). They both came back in one piece and I am sure your son will too.

hlenoble
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
My 19 year old son is heading to Iraq tonight. He's been in the army for almost exactly 2 years, and is being deployed for the first time.

I am certainly nervous about it, but I know that he is smart, motivated, and well trained. I am also relieved that his mission should keep him away from the front lines, if there are such a thing in this war.

Brett's MOS is 45 Gulf, which is fire control repair, meaning that he was trained (for 6 months) to fix the fire control (target acquisition) systems on tanks and heavy artillery. Of course, despite the training he has spent most of his time fixing small arms, which is what he will be doing in Iraq.

If you read this far, thank you and keep Brett in your thoughts. I'll post some updates as I get them.

yaofeng
04-05-2008, 03:42 AM
I will have him in my prayers and I will try to get him back early with my vote in November.

repenttokyo
04-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Citing god and war in the same sentence simply highlights why the world is as ****ed as it is - RELIGION!!

how the hell does a non-sequitur like this get into a thread about wishing someone;s son safe passage?? have some respect.

525i winter driver
04-05-2008, 08:17 AM
My 19 year old son is heading to Iraq tonight. He's been in the army for almost exactly 2 years, and is being deployed for the first time.

I am certainly nervous about it, but I know that he is smart, motivated, and well trained. I am also relieved that his mission should keep him away from the front lines, if there are such a thing in this war.

Brett's MOS is 45 Gulf, which is fire control repair, meaning that he was trained (for 6 months) to fix the fire control (target acquisition) systems on tanks and heavy artillery. Of course, despite the training he has spent most of his time fixing small arms, which is what he will be doing in Iraq.

If you read this far, thank you and keep Brett in your thoughts. I'll post some updates as I get them.i hope he comes back safe... and i hope Brett's guns, tanks and heavy artillery do not harm any innocent people.

edit: gosh i read this and hope it doesn't come across badly, i don't think i'm alone in being extremely anxious about the state of the world these days... i just hope EVERYONE's ok, but that would be dreaming wouldn't it. nothing but the best wishes to you and your family.

M20Turbo
04-05-2008, 08:29 AM

If you read this far, thank you and keep Brett in your thoughts. I'll post some updates as I get them.

I will add your son to my thoughts and prays, my son has been in Iraq since July of 07. My son Jonathan is in the Army 82nd Airborn. Our thoughts and prays go out to ALL the men and women who are so bravely fighting to protecting our freedom. God bless them all.............

whiskychaser
04-05-2008, 08:41 AM
We can all argue about the rights and wrongs of being in Iraq. But I'm sure everyone will agree in wishing your son well and hoping he stays safe.

pundit
04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Citing god and war in the same sentence simply highlights why the world is as ****ed as it is - RELIGION!!

rizal
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Your son is certainly in our family's prayers. Arguing about whether we should be there or not doesn't help him or you, nor does judging religion to be the cause of man's problems. I won't go there. We teach our kids to respect our soldiers, police, etc., and your son certainly has our respect. Thanks so much.

Jr ///M5
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
The next time you see your son, be sure to tell him "Thank-you" for me...

We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers until he returns.

Respectfully,
JR

Rick L
04-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Two of our employees just came back from there safely. It's crazy and don't understand why US commited over there and costing us $4 BILLS per month! Anyway, I wish him safe return home.

mamilapon
04-07-2008, 03:47 AM
There is nothing wrong with having a spiritual need my friend but what's ****ed is the people who commit atrocities in the NAME of religion!!

mamilapon
04-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Here's a reason: GREED!!!

Washburn
04-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Regardless of the why's and other opinions about all this, I still want to to tell him thanks and I hope that he stays safe.

fin
04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I wish your son all my best.

For him, it may turn out to be the time of his life. Meanwhile, you are at home, worried sick about all of the worst scenarios possible.

I am 100% sure it is not the intention of your son or his comrades to kill/maim/torture/etc. innocent people. It's not what we raise our sons and daughters to do. In fact, it is the Hallmark of American's in times such as these.

His duties over there are simple. To help break the chains of oppression that seem to drape all over the people of the Middle East.

He'll do you proud.

Fin

healtoeit
04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll keep him in my prayers! My brother is in the Army never been to iraq though. I wish your family the best and hope your son stays safe.
Tell him thankyou from me and my family as well.