PDA

View Full Version : 1996 525 tds - ok to run on veg oil?

Ferret
04-04-2008, 06:55 AM
The title says it all really:). I heard some Land Rovers had trouble with vegetable oil & biodiesel attacking rubber seals in the injector pump and wondered if mine is safe with this stuff?

So long as your primer pump, injection pump, pump seals and glow plugs are good, then yes my friend!

Do NOT stray beneath a 25% diesel mix though, and during the cold months run a 40-50% diesel mix. If you get a majorly cold snap, below 40% will wax up if temps drop below 0C.

During the summer months though we had my TDS running on an average of 25-30% diesel, 70% oil. The diesel 'cuts' the oil and takes most of the viscosity out of it!

It's also perfectly legal to use it as a fuel in this country without paying duty on it! (So long as you keep below 2000 litres a year, AND keep records of your useage/oil purchases!)

ratwing
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
The title says it all really:). I heard some Land Rovers had trouble with vegetable oil & biodiesel attacking rubber seals in the injector pump and wondered if mine is safe with this stuff?

whiskychaser
04-04-2008, 01:59 PM
So long as your primer pump, injection pump, pump seals and glow plugs are good, then yes my friend!

Do NOT stray beneath a 25% diesel mix though, and during the cold months run a 40-50% diesel mix. If you get a majorly cold snap, below 40% will wax up if temps drop below 0C.

During the summer months though we had my TDS running on an average of 25-30% diesel, 70% oil. The diesel 'cuts' the oil and takes most of the viscosity out of it!

It's also perfectly legal to use it as a fuel in this country without paying duty on it! (So long as you keep below 2000 litres a year, AND keep records of your useage/oil purchases!)
Before winter diesel we used to put a gallon of petrol in the tank to avoid waxing up. I suppose how much diesel you put in the mix depends on how much vinegar they put on the chips? Joking aside, I think its fantastic to take a waste oil product and power your car with it.

ratwing
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a go :)