PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Oil Change - Is it easy???

yaofeng
04-04-2008, 04:57 AM
17 mm socket. Some gear oil gallon jar comes with a hand pump. Use the pump but not the gear oil.

anonymous1
04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Good afternoon,

I have recently found that my gear box is feeling notchy between gears. I have had it checked and nothing serious seems amiss, but it was suggested that I change the oil. (Not sure if this will have ever been done by the PO) Just wondering how easy it is?

I have been under the car to locate the drain plug and the fill plug, both of which I can see are fairly easy to access to remove. Just wondering when putting the new fluid in, should I just use a syphon or is there a simpler method? I already have the oil to change it.

Also, I have purchased some Lucas oil which I have been told will make it feel better. Just wondering if anyone else has used this and their thoughts on it? Was looking to put a 50/50 mix of the lucas oil and the normal oil from BM into the box.

Thanks in advance.

attack eagle
04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
525s use atf dextron III for both automatics and ofr manuals

not hard, just have to have the car lifted evenly.

pgrindstaff
04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I just did this last week. While it is not hard it is also not the most fun. I bought a sta-lube pump from NAPA that worked pretty well, just had to pour the oil into a a different container.

Ross
04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Pump schmump.
For the cars that use ATF a few feet of 1/2" vinyl tubing and a funnel.
That size tube will stay in the fill hole, just route it up top, attatch the funnel and pour away.
EDIT: Do not use this method for gear oil unless it is very warm or you are very patient.

whiskychaser
04-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Pump schmump.
For the cars that use ATF a few feet of 1/2" vinyl tubing and a funnel.

Think we went to the same school

shogun
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
da links
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/501979/

anonymous1
04-05-2008, 02:15 AM
Cheers for the input, I'm going to look to do it today.

Just wondering though, I got the fluid from the stealer and they have provided ATF Dexron II. My vehicle is a E36 320 - does anyone know if this will be correct or should it be Dexron III like the 525?

Ross - Do you mean I can heat the new fluid and then pour it in? If so, what temp is safe to get it to?

I have also heard that if you change all of the fluid at once, there is possibility of damage to the tranny. Is this only on Autos, or do I need to watch out for it as well?

The help is appreciated.

attack eagle
04-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Dex II is probably the period correct stuff.
Here in the US the lowest you can find is dex III, which replaced and is 100% compatible with dex II applications.

anonymous1
04-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks, that's put my mind at ease. Thought I was going to have to put the job off temp, while I sorted exchange of the fluid at the stealer.