PDA

View Full Version : Coil springs over time...

repenttokyo
04-03-2008, 06:20 AM
they get softer and wear out over time.

Claude
04-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Do they keep their stiffnest overtime or could they get notably softer ?

I ask this because even with new shocks (original coils but new shocks) the ride in bad city streets is rather soft / bumpy. I don't want lower the car. Just wander if either the suspension was soft like when the car was new or if the aging of the coils may be the cause of it. I have bad time figuring out how a temper piece of steel could get softer overtime, my feeling is it will either always keep it's physical property or broke but not get softer.

What's your experience / thought about that ?

Ross
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Or work harden and break.
Diminished ride height will tell you if they are weak.

Claude
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Or work harden and break.
Diminished ride height will tell you if they are weak.

Is it to say that if the ride height have'nt change overtime (that's my case) something else (shocks again or else) cause of bumpy ride (not rigid, too smooth front and rear) ?

repenttokyo
04-04-2008, 06:57 AM
that sounds like sagging springs to me, you should change them.

Ross
04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
If they aren't sagging or broken then the shocks are the likely cause.
I'm a bit confused with your description, "bumpy ride" and "too smooth" in the same sentence.

Claude
04-04-2008, 09:31 AM
If they aren't sagging or broken then the shocks are the likely cause.
I'm a bit confused with your description, "bumpy ride" and "too smooth" in the same sentence.

means : feeliong of too much a swing up and down of the front end and the rear one as well when running through rough / bad street pavement (bumpy road, not pot holes) in town at rather low speed.

Ross
04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
The springs support the weight of the car and allow movement of the supension, the shocks(dampers actually) control this movement.
If the car is bouncing around and wallows in turns the shocks are toast.
Weak springs will not make the car bounce.

AngryPopTart
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
There are still places around that we send leaf springs to so as to have them dearched for Rods and I'm pretty sure they do coil springs, too. I wonder if they have a process for rehardening coil springs. That would be sweet! I'll have to look into that.