PDA

View Full Version : 540iA fails to start after engine wash

Tcdoe
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi,

I realize this is mostly an E34 forum, but I'll ask anyway because you guys have proved to be very helpful back in my E34 days. Anyway, on to the problem.. The car is an E39 540iA 03/98.

I knew this wasn't gonna end happily, but I had to do it since my former E34 535i didn't really seem to care about water at all. I tried to stay away from most of the electrics, but that didn't help.

Right after washing the car started fine and ran well for about a minute, then it just died. I started it again, it ran for 5 seconds and died. And again. And again... It ran a while longer if I kept the throttle on, but eventually it died. Now it won't even start. I just hear a snapping sound from the engine, but it won't even crank over. Also the car reset itself (language changed etc.).

I immediately checked the DME and all other electrics there, but they were dry (phew).

I guess that could just be that the battery doesn't have enough power after my starts, but something is still causing the engine to die.

Any ideas? CPS doesn't like water? I noticed the ASC actuator moving when starting, but that might be normal?

yaofeng
04-02-2008, 10:50 AM
You want to be very careful washing the m60 or the m64 (is that the correct alphabet soup acronym for e39?) engine. My bet is water got into the spark plug holes. Now you need to remove the cover to check.