PDA

View Full Version : can i put a mildly rusty oil pump/slinger back into my transmission?

ryan roopnarine
04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
transmission is a gm 4l30e/ bmw a4s 310 r 4 speed automatic.
this transmission has an issue wherein the gasket that sits in front of the oil pump/slinger will bulge and cause a loss in hydraulic pressure as well as a fluid leak from the case. i took the transmission apart, and was horrified to see how much of the gasket was stuck to the circular shaped oil slinger (looks like an 8 in diameter valve body, without as many passages. this item appears to be made of cast iron. in the effort to scrape the gasket off, i had to make use of some very harsh solvents in the form of permatex gasket remover. this was incompatible with transmission fluid (obviously), so i needed to bathe the unit a couple of times to get it clean. a transmission guy said that it would be ok to soak the unit in denatured alcohol to clean it. i've taken enough chemistry classes to have some inkling of what happened next, but it was too late. the entire unit became covered in a light coating of rust (where i had scraped), which eventually spread. there are no large scale transmission rebuilding "outfits" where i live, so i don't have access to a vavle body washer. the machine shop that i took the slinger to today was able to get much of the rust off, but a decent amount remains.

question is.....
i change my transmission fluid at every/every other oil change. my transmission is very clean inside. would it be ok to put this unit back into my car if i changed the filter in a couple of thousand miles?

Ross
04-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Rub it with Scotchbrite, rinse it and button it up.