PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil Experience

BMWCCA1
03-31-2008, 05:15 PM
There's no such thing as an Alusil E34 540i that hasn't had the engine replaced. You've just confirmed it with the casting number. Now it's still possible yours has had he engine replaced, but possibly very early on and with another Nikasil engine. That was the second "fix" for the problem (the first was new rings). Maybe that's what confused the dealer. . . or (more likely) the dealer didn't have any idea what he was talking about . . . or they just lied about it.

You could have any manner of other M60 problems from bad coils, to bad oxygen sensors, to oil leaks at the plugs. Until you check all the other BMW V8 idle symptoms (and there are more) you'll never know. A leak-down test might give you an answer more quickly. This is why I bought a 525i.

BTW: This was post #2 in this thread! :(

nearle
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I have had it for about two weeks, the previous owner stated clearly that according to the dealer, the engine was not Nikasil.

Just located the casting number and guess what... 1 742 998. The car has 143k and a rough idle. Id like to get an idea of the other members' experience with this block.

BadAss95-530i
04-01-2008, 03:56 AM
I have had it for about two weeks, the previous owner stated clearly that according to the dealer, the engine was not Nikasil.

Just located the casting number and guess what... 1 742 998. The car has 143k and a rough idle. Id like to get an idea of the other members' experience with this block.

mine had a rough idle and and it turned out to be holes in the air boot. I still get some shuddering from time to time, im hopeful its just an intake gasket. But really its pretty strong after 103k and everyone tells me if it hasnt failed yet then it prolly wont. Until now ive just had my fingers crossed with the idea that what i dont know wont hurt me! That is kinda why i keep wussing out of just getting a compression test done. Its the only way to be sure though. Maybe when the ol tax return arrives...

yaofeng
04-01-2008, 03:58 AM

Do a compression test.

BMWCCA1
04-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Do a compression test.A leak-down test is more important. Sort of includes a compression test at the same time but tells you more. You can have good compression and still have bad cylinder leakage. And if you have low compression, a leak-down test will tell you where the loss is occurring.

(Post #5 in this thread)

Macv
04-01-2008, 05:30 AM
My Nikasil, as well as a few others, still runs very strong with no problems.

yaofeng
04-01-2008, 06:18 AM
A leak-down test is more important. Sort of includes a compression test at the same time but tells you more. You can have good compression and still have bad cylinder leakage. And if you have low compression, a leak-down test will tell you where the loss is occurring.

(Post #5 in this thread)

You can't do a leak down without investing more in equipment or tools or go to a shop which can do the test. A compression test needs only very simple tools you can do rather conveniently. That was my point suggesting a compression test first before going further. if a compression test shows low numbers, there is no point going any further.

The Nikasil on my 540 when I got it two years ago shows 70 psi in a number of holes. I knew it has a bad Nikasil. It will start up. It will also stall. I didn't bother going any further. I replaced the engine and converted it to 6 speed.

632 Regal
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
A compression test on any hydraulic valve engine can be compromised from any lifters not completely pumped up thus low/high readings in just one or a few cylinders.

You can virtually remove that issue by running the engine until it is warmed and not ticking BUT you have a great chance of galling the plug thread holes since they are aluminum.

Also... a compression test is not even comparative to a leak down test as the Nik wear is only at the very top of the cylinders.

You can't do a leak down without investing more in equipment or tools or go to a shop which can do the test. A compression test needs only very simple tools you can do rather conveniently. That was my point suggesting a compression test first before going further. if a compression test shows low numbers, there is no point going any further.

The Nikasil on my 540 when I got it two years ago shows 70 psi in a number of holes. I knew it has a bad Nikasil. It will start up. It will also stall. I didn't bother going any further. I replaced the engine and converted it to 6 speed.