PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac picks on BMW

Derek A.
03-31-2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/PontiacIsCAR

Macv
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Lol, Pontiac's last attempt at advertising before it bankrupts maybe?

Nice find.

repenttokyo
03-31-2008, 01:20 PM
It is indeed faster than the current 5 series and has the bonus of not being phenomenally ugly like the entire current BMW lineup. Good competition along with the CTS-V will hopefully push BMW to start building cool cars again, instead of tedious barges for the Exec-set.

Derek A.
03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I would consider being am importer for Holden fascias for the Pontiac.

You look at the falling U.S. dollar, the lack of BMW's desire to build cool cars and GM's specific targeting of the 5 series. I think this car is going to be a hit.

Derek A.
03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow, more horsepower out of a 6.0L than a BMW 550i which carries a 4.8L? that's a fair comparison.

All is fair in love and war..

Its an existing powertrain combination, no reason for GM to create something special just to match specs with BMW.

Ross
03-31-2008, 05:37 PM
The latest OZ Pontiac I believe.
A good old pushrod V-8, rear drive and better styling than the current 5er.
If the ergonomics are anything like my friends GTO that will be it's weak point.
BM's build ain't that much better and the Poncho has WAY less silly gizmos.
Given the price difference I'd take the Poncho in a New York minute.

rob101
03-31-2008, 05:55 PM
The latest OZ Pontiac I believe.
A good old pushrod V-8, rear drive and better styling than the current 5er.
If the ergonomics are anything like my friends GTO that will be it's weak point.
BM's build ain't that much better and the Poncho has WAY less silly gizmos.
Given the price difference I'd take the Poncho in a New York minute.
hehe, pontiac just copied holden's "claims" about the car, we've been hearing this BS for about 1 year now.

Qube
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
G8? LOL If it was all about the $, then everyone would be driving Hyundai Azera's.

whiskychaser
03-31-2008, 06:46 PM
I would describe the interior of the new 5s as spartan. And that includes the sport. Thank goodness we dont have the Pontiac. We would be spoiled for choice:D

rob101
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
I would describe the interior of the new 5s as spartan. And that includes the sport. Thank goodness we dont have the Pontiac. We would be spoiled for choice:D
no, you just have the same car without the pontiac-esque garnache
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/carsandvans/brandcarhub.do?brandName=vxr8&vehicleType=C&scope=S&method=loadBrandHubCarPage

Coldaccord
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
I hate it when a different car company compares their top trim of a particular model to the bottom trim of a bmw.

///Sniper535
03-31-2008, 08:44 PM
Wow, more horsepower out of a 6.0L than a BMW 550i which carries a 4.8L? that's a fair comparison.

rob101
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
i would have said yes, that is until i compared the SS commodore's fuel consumption with the 550i
for the SS 14.3l/100 km and 550i does 10.8L/100 km
mind you the australian commodore doesn't have the displacement on demand though.
mind you that shouldn't matter because the bmw costs about three times what the commodore does.

nirvana19
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
My uncle in New Zealand has a SS (and some european cars). It is quite fast and decent looking, but he spends most of his driving time in his Volvo XC90 V8. Comfy and a yamaha (aka old ford) V8, woohoo. Not that that has anything to do with BMWs.

GJPinAU
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh and another thing...
When you finally get the Pontiac ??? (Holden Ute) Pick Up.
Please convince your friends to call it a UTE!!!!

Not an SUC (small utility car)
hahaha

rob101
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh and another thing...
When you finally get the Pontiac ??? (Holden Ute) Pick Up.
Please convince your friends to call it a UTE!!!!

Not an SUC (small utility car)
hahaha
make sure you get some of these as well for the authetic "I don't do anything on a building site but i'd like to pretend i need the tray space for all my tools. when really the only tool on board is in the driver's seat" experience.
http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=2813633

repenttokyo
04-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I hate it when a different car company compares their top trim of a particular model to the bottom trim of a bmw.

How exactly is the 550i the BOTTOM trim BMW???????????????

And that is not the top trim Pontiac G8. The top trim Pontiac G8 is the GXP, which has over 400 hp. The 361 hp standard version is the one in the ad. It compares very well to the 550 in most magazine tests, coming in within .1 or .2 seconds in acceleration, passing, and cornering...

One is a pushrod V8 the other is a hightech OHC multivalve. that's a fair comparison ;) I hope most people realise that displacement is not the determining factor when it comes to horsepower, otherwise I have some 4.9 litre straight six pickup engine to sell you.

research research research dude.

repenttokyo
04-01-2008, 04:37 AM
It no doubt will be badged El Camino. The quintessential white trash mobile.

it's so far called the G8 ST, they are actually holding a contest for people to pick a better name.

Ross
04-01-2008, 08:24 AM
There is no replacement for displacement.
It pulls hard right from the bottom and revs happily too.
BM chooses to throw complication and technology at it, GM just uses a bigger engine.

Ross
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
It no doubt will be badged El Camino. The quintessential white trash mobile.

Ross
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
it's so far called the G8 ST, they are actually holding a contest for people to pick a better name.
How about "Mullet ST"

rob101
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Holden's come aloooooong way recently, i would say that their last generation models were only about the level as an e34. There was alot of press about them basing the current model on the e39. they're getting there, probably not the same as the e60 but then again alot of people think the e60 is overcomplicated anyway. to my mind after talking with an ex-police workshop mechanic who worked on them a bit and listening to the press they'd pretty much be like the equivalent of an e39 chassis with late e34 drivetrain, the non-v8 drivetrain lets our commodores down alot. I wouldn't mind a calais V (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/ride_handle_012-p.thumbnail.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.caradvice.com.au/2665/2007-holden-commodore-ve-calais-v6-road-test/&h=320&w=480&sz=20&hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=EyLoayUBSHmXMM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=129&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dholden%2Bcalais%2BV%26um%3D1%26hl%3De n%26sa%3DN) though. but definitely with the v8, that would be if i liked 14.3L/100 km fuel consumption.
that makes the e38 750iL look pretty attractive. which does 13.6L/100km combined, now you start to see the downside to their drivetrain.

ThoreauHD
04-02-2008, 12:14 AM
That's a pretty good try by Pontiac. If they want to go 6 liter though, perhaps it's best to compare it to the M5. Or maybe even the Dinan M5. But 550 or M5, it doesn't matter. Their brakes and suspension are ghetto dogcrap. A big engine is great if your other components can handle and direct that power.

I do consider lack of room in the car to be valid criticism though. And the fact that they are modeling it after the new BMW's, which look like camry's, isn't really a selling point for me.

If pontiac made a car that handled like a BMW and looked like an E34, I'd be on it quicker than a chinamen on rice. It's a nice try, but the same rules apply to supercars. Having a big ole engine doesn't matter if the wheels fly off and the body of the car snaps in half at 140 mph.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Ha!.. Let's see which beast is still on the road in 10 to 15 years.

I don't see any 90's GM Pontiacs or much of anything GM else still rolling after all those years.

Another disposable car....

repenttokyo
04-02-2008, 03:16 AM
That's a pretty good try by Pontiac. If they want to go 6 liter though, perhaps it's best to compare it to the M5. Or maybe even the Dinan M5. But 550 or M5, it doesn't matter. Their brakes and suspension are ghetto dogcrap. A big engine is great if your other components can handle and direct that power.

I do consider lack of room in the car to be valid criticism though. And the fact that they are modeling it after the new BMW's, which look like camry's, isn't really a selling point for me.

If pontiac made a car that handled like a BMW and looked like an E34, I'd be on it quicker than a chinamen on rice. It's a nice try, but the same rules apply to supercars. Having a big ole engine doesn't matter if the wheels fly off and the body of the car snaps in half at 140 mph.

the car does handle quite well. I reccomend picking up the most recent Automobile magazine, or checking out Automobilemag.com.

repenttokyo
04-02-2008, 06:59 AM
The "Americans" who build this particular car all live Australia.

well, except for the engine ;)

Ross
04-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Agreed Bob.
Remember though that they are selling NEW cars. Very few of the buyers will care to own either of them in ten years.
Overall I think it safe to also say most new BMWs get better care(except the ones some of our board members get)than their Pontiac brothers.
No doubt that Pontiac/Holden/GM isn't quite up to BMW's build quality but care has as much to do with longevity. The typical GM buyer has a different mindset regarding maintenance than do us BMers.
BMW has lost it's way a bit. Between Bangle, I-drive and flagging build quality they have alienated some of their core enthusiast "driver" customers.
My buddy's GTO regularly cleans the clocks of the locals in their new 5ers, perhaps they didn't select the proper I-drive setting. I've personally driven it at a buck forty, it was still pulling and the wheels are still on it.
GM has built LOTS of crap in the past several decades but they are getting better while BM seems to be getting watered down with techno whiz-bang ******** and atrocious styling.
Just the opinion this old geezer.

VentoGT
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm going to go out and drive a G8 GXP when it comes out [manual only for me, thank you]. I'm very excited to see America building some interesting cars--I'd love to buy American because I have a real DESIRE for the car.

GM is really on the right track, and Ford is starting to get its act together with its new "world" Fiesta, which will spill over into other cars. I look forward to seeing unadulterated European-conceived American cars finally coming to our shores.

Bash Pontiac at your own peril boys and girls...I love BMWs but let's not get snobby badge envy here.

Ross
04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
The "Americans" who build this particular car all live Australia.

rob101
04-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Bash Pontiac at your own peril boys and girls...I love BMWs but let's not get snobby badge envy here.
No offense but when you've grown up with this series of car all your life because you live in australia the novelty wears off, and yes i have driven this particular chassis for about 80 kms as a rental car. i must say the V6 version leaves something to be desired. interior build quality is not that flash, nothing better than the other japanese hire cars i've driven.
overall i wasn't that impressed and for the cost of running them here, you'd want to be impressed. I prefer my bmw's thanks.