PDA

View Full Version : 535i handling problems

e34.535i.sport
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
To be honest I get a little bit of what you describe sometimes, but possibly not as severe... The design of the steering box on our cars is apparently prone to getting 'loose'... You may end up having to live with it.

duckloads
03-30-2008, 02:34 PM
My (new to me) '90 535i has some handling problems. It is actullay difficult to hold the car in a straight line. It takes a lot of concentration. There is no play in the steering wheel. I didn't notice it when I bought it because the front struts were worn out , and it bounced all over the place.

I have done the following to the car:

New shocks and struts (Bilstien TC)
All four control arms
sway bar links

The tie rods and drag link are nice and tight. I followed the procedure on BMWE34 to adjust the steering box.

There is no play in the front end. none. I have no on-center feel, and it takes alot of concentration (very small steering wheel inputs) to keep it in a straight line.

Any ideas?

e34.535i.sport
03-30-2008, 02:48 PM
My (new to me) '90 535i has some handling problems. It is actullay difficult to hold the car in a straight line. It takes a lot of concentration. There is no play in the steering wheel. I didn't notice it when I bought it because the front struts were worn out , and it bounced all over the place.

All four control arms
sway bar links

The tie rods and drag link are nice and tight. I followed the procedure on BMWE34 to adjust the steering box.

There is no play in the front end. none. I have no on-center feel, and it takes alot of concentration (very small steering wheel inputs) to keep it in a straight line.

Any ideas?

All the usual suspects are covered... I assume you have had the tracking done after all of the replacement parts? Are the the Tie rod ends secured tightly enough?

duckloads
03-30-2008, 04:03 PM
yep, had the alignment done after the front end work. The tech said that everything was tight.

dennyg
03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Did you make sure car had weight on all four wheels when you put on the control arms?

duckloads
03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
yep, good point.

when I installed the control arms, I placed a wooden block on my floor jack and jacked under the lower control arm ball joint to compress the suspension and lift the car off the jack stands. then I tighened the bolts. I repeated the proccess for both sides.

whiskychaser
03-30-2008, 06:01 PM

All four control arms
sway bar links

Any ideas?
You checked the front end but have you got rear steer? Replacing the front control arms helped mine a bit. But the greatest improvement came from replacing the rear subframe mounts. Also look at what some call pitman arms-little '8' shaped joints on the back end. Lots of write ups if you search. Big clue you have rear end steer is if you put your foot down and you are not confident where the front end is going to point:D

duckloads
03-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks,

I tightened the steering colum nut under the dash per bmwe34.net instructins and carfully re-adjusted the steering box. The car drives MUCH better now.

I have looked at the "dog bones" in the rear suspension, and they look real crappy. I don't detect any rear steer like you mention, but i'll be replacing the rear pitman arms soon.

Ross
03-31-2008, 08:49 AM
I think Whiskychaser is on to your problem.
Loose components in the rear will have the car dancing all over, especially at speed. If the car feels to be squirming around under your seat start looking for the problem in the rear suspension.
Also insufficient caster will have you wandering, unfortunately this is not an adjustable part of E34 suspension.
A liitle more toe in may be all it needs too.