PDA

View Full Version : Questions lowering my e34

outomoneyracer
03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
any one on here ever lower an e34?

outomoneyracer
03-28-2008, 06:43 PM
thinking of lowering my 94 530. Has anyone lowered theirs? If so did you like it or regret it? Ground clearance probs?,or scraping in driveways? Rough ride? I also think car has self leveling rear shocks. Should I just eliminate LAD system and lower the car. Or just replace the (shot) front shocks and hope the rears are good for a while? Any help or opinions with this would be greatly appreciated.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-28-2008, 07:02 PM
thinking of lowering my 94 530. Has anyone lowered theirs? If so did you like it or regret it? Ground clearance probs?,or scraping in driveways? Rough ride? I also think car has self leveling rear shocks. Should I just eliminate LAD system and lower the car. Or just replace the (shot) front shocks and hope the rears are good for a while? Any help or opinions with this would be greatly appreciated.

Most have had good results with after market spring kits, Eibach, H&R Etc.

Shocks Sachs/boge, Bilstein or koni

If you do have LAd you may just want to pick up a whole spring and shock kit like a Sachs kit.

I have eibachs with bili in the front and Boge in the rear. not too low and not too rough.

BMWCCA1
03-29-2008, 05:01 AM
If you'd take the time to fill out your profile, especially where you live, we might be able to assure you that you do not have self-leveling. Not likely in the USA unless it's a touring. My '95 is lowered with R-D springs and Boges. Don't forget new sway bars so you actually do something to increase the handling at the same time you're going for the visual upgrade. No clearance problems for me, even fully loaded.

outomoneyracer
03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Sorry, I'm in Appleton, Wisconsin. VIN #wbahe231xrge85210

healtoeit
03-29-2008, 11:04 AM
First of all, great place your living in! I have tons of family up in WI all around ya!
I have H&R and bilstein sports waiting to be put in my car.

If you plan on racing or auto Xing the car get a strut tower brace.

Like zo

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=66

Washburn
03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey, your almost in my neighborhood. I live in Wausau. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear what you decide to do. I've been thinking about lowering my 525iT (non-levelling rear) myself. It needs shocks bad, and I can maybe justify to the "accountant" if it doesn't run a whole lot more. Advice on where to shop for packages? BMA?

BTW, I am very active in the Autocross scene, and can offer advise/info if that's something you'de like to do.

BMWCCA1
03-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Sorry, I'm in Appleton, Wisconsin. VIN #wbahe231xrge85210Well, it looks like you have a 530i sedan built for sale in the USA, and a very early one at that. Single air-bag and non-adaptive auto transmission, most likely. So no self-leveling. Lower away.

Something else you may want to check: From my experience, most dealers confused the 540i with the 530i on the early production cars and never bothered changing the transmission fluid. Check your records to see. The 530iA uses normal ATF Dexron, unlike the "lifetime" fill for the 540i. Just a thought.

Washburn
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Used to do Midwest Council years ago in a 914. Blackhawk Farms = big autocross! Fun. For the past 10 years, I've been running my local events in Milwaukee, and the Twin Cities. Running an Evo 9 MR lately. I do quite a few National events and have 7 National trophies, so dunno...maybe heard the name from that. Can't afford W to W, and it's been a lot of fun. Will be more fun when I win a Championship though!

That package sounds pretty good...I will have to check that out. That's within budget. Wonder if there's any camber correction required, or do you just drop away? Thanks for the info. Here's my PM
plw -at- charter -dot- net

Good luck!

I will be buying my kit from Bavarian Autosport. They have complete kit , springs and Bilstein sports for $600. If you send me your # or e-mail I'll let you know how it turns out. But I won't be doing it for a month or so;gonna replace everything in fron end. Tie rods, thrust arms, track arm, idler arm, ball joints, rotors, shocks and springs. I've been chasing front wheel wobble in this damn thing for 3 yrs. Sick of it so replacing everything. As for auto X I appreciate offer but I currently race wheel to wheel with Midwest Council and VSCDA at Blackhawk Farms and Road America with my 1972 2002. Do you auto X with Council cause your name does sound familiar to me like I've seen it on lap result sheets or somthing. By the way..."accountant" I like that...LOL...Barry

outomoneyracer
03-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanx for all the input guys! I got under her yesterday and there are no lines going to shocks so ...no auto leveling. So I will be lowering it in a month or so.

outomoneyracer
03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey, your almost in my neighborhood. I live in Wausau. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear what you decide to do. I've been thinking about lowering my 525iT (non-levelling rear) myself. It needs shocks bad, and I can maybe justify to the "accountant" if it doesn't run a whole lot more. Advice on where to shop for packages? BMA?

BTW, I am very active in the Autocross scene, and can offer advise/info if that's something you'de like to do.
I will be buying my kit from Bavarian Autosport. They have complete kit , springs and Bilstein sports for $600. If you send me your # or e-mail I'll let you know how it turns out. But I won't be doing it for a month or so;gonna replace everything in fron end. Tie rods, thrust arms, track arm, idler arm, ball joints, rotors, shocks and springs. I've been chasing front wheel wobble in this damn thing for 3 yrs. Sick of it so replacing everything. As for auto X I appreciate offer but I currently race wheel to wheel with Midwest Council and VSCDA at Blackhawk Farms and Road America with my 1972 2002. Do you auto X with Council cause your name does sound familiar to me like I've seen it on lap result sheets or somthing. By the way..."accountant" I like that...LOL...Barry

libimmerman
03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi guys,Just want to say I`ve been lowered for several years, with the kit from Bavauto and don`t regret one second of it. Car handles and rides like an over sized go cart with shocks, don`t forget to align the car afterwards. Go luck

outomoneyracer
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi guys,Just want to say I`ve been lowered for several years, with the kit from Bavauto and don`t regret one second of it. Car handles and rides like an over sized go cart with shocks, don`t forget to align the car afterwards. Go luck
Thats reassuring to hear people happy with their lowered e34's. Has been helpfull in my decision to lower. Thanx again to all that replied!!!!! Barry

nearle
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Dont go cheap. I put in the Bavauto springs on my 525i and left the stock shocks. It looked great, but needed better damping.