PDA

View Full Version : What are my Tire Choices?

Russell
03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Do you mean Bridgestone G009s? Good tire, my second choice.

BTW, they will be replaced soon by a new model.

Adnan
03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
The tires on my soon to be 525I will need to be replaced. What are my options and availability? I'm probably going to be on a tight budget. Don't race around town or go much over 100 but I'd like something good for handling.

I've read somewhere that these are metric? Is this true?

Any body selling an inexpensive set on the forum?

Hi,

I was very pleased with the Yokohama AVS db S2 on my 535i. In fact, I bought a second set when the first ones wore out. They were relatively inexpensive, very quiet and had very good dry and wet traction and handling. They lasted around 35k miles but that's probably typical for the soft compounds necessary for the rated performance.

Regards,
Adnan

vping
03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
The tires on my soon to be 525I will need to be replaced. What are my options and availability? I'm probably going to be on a tight budget. Don't race around town or go much over 100 but I'd like something good for handling.

I've read somewhere that these are metric? Is this true?

Any body selling an inexpensive set on the forum?

Ross
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
My advice is to shop one of the on-line stores like Tire rack.
$75 will buy you a very nice tire there. They can recommend an installer in your area they will ship to. No tax, no ******** little fees that the tire stores seem to love so much.
Last set I bought was Dunlop G009s at Tire Rack, by the time they were on the car I was still well under $400.

Ross
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, Bridgestones. A very decent tire all around I thought. Not HP, but ride and noise mean more to me. Very good in snow with full tread depth, serviceable after 20k on them. I was pleased with the choice.

vping
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Dunlops are on it now and flatter'n pancakes. The spare is brand new and is a Pirelli P600 225/60 ZR15. I want a good handling tire but not too noisy and decent is all weather in case I get caught in the occasional snow storm.

bubba966
03-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I want a good handling tire but not too noisy and decent is all weather in case I get caught in the occasional snow storm.

Pick up a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Put 'em on a friends '95 525iT in 225/60/15 (had her get the V rated ones). They're nice and quiet. Ride great. Handle well. Grab great under panic stopping (I couldn't get them to break traction in a hard stop from 50mph). They last a good while. And they deal with rain and snow pretty well too.

Not to mention they're not too spendy either.

They're not quite as good as the PS2's on my car. But considering they cost about 1/3rd the price of the PS2's they come rather close in performance.

BMWDriver
03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
My personal choice for 225/60/15 might have been Khumos from Tire Rack online for cheap ones. Otherwise I might have gone for Continentals.

I figure regulations are on our side, and cheap should not mean dangerous - that's my opinion.

But, with my new set of 17 inch rims, I just might go for Kumho Ecsta AST all season tires at 235/45/17 all around.

rreimund
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Pick up a set of BFG Traction T/A's. Put 'em on a friends '95 525iT in 225/60/15 (had her get the V rated ones). They're nice and quiet. Ride great. Handle well. Grab great under panic stopping (I couldn't get them to break traction in a hard stop from 50mph). They last a good while. And they deal with rain and snow pretty well too.

Not to mention they're not too spendy either.

They're not quite as good as the PS2's on my car. But considering they cost about 1/3rd the price of the PS2's they come rather close in performance.

I'd actually second that recommendation. The Traction T/As are quite good. I had very good luck with them on a previous car (non-E34).

express_wagon
03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Continental ContiExtremeContact

This tire does everything well including winter conditions.

vping
03-28-2008, 09:33 AM
So I went with the Dunlop SP HR4 225/6 0HR15. They are an all season High Performance tire. I decided that since I have these on my MG, that I'd put them on the beemer. So far I like them but the beemer is a totally different animal. They look good too.

John in CT
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Tirerack 225-60/15 Solus, great cheap tire. Highly recommended,

John
1995 525i 5 speed