PDA

View Full Version : Big Brake Kit on a budget update

Bruno
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, it all bolts up together nicely, fits under the aftermarket 17" and even the TRX rims.

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/4j2f8i7GOgGoj1UnCaLZSQ556533

http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/qA_APoJbkUyAvhG9XNwJGQ527711

Enjoy, Once I test drive these babies on the track and heat them up really good I will have 10 sets of the brakets built and will work on the instructions.

And this time the caliper is in the right direction.

rreimund
03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Shweet...

BigKriss
03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
were these adaptors for 324x30 rotors?

sneekens
03-30-2008, 10:05 AM
how much did everything cost? :)

Booster
03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Hmm....I wonder if your brackets have the same bolt spread the Brembo calipers I bought have ??
I haven't had time to dealing with them yet. Let me know........also, which rotors did you install there ??
Cheers,Vinny

Bruno
03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
were these adaptors for 324x30 rotors?

Yes, these are the adaptor for the 324x30. The rotor size 334x32 do not fit under the aftermarket wheels I purchased... so I will need another set of rims.

Bruno
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
how much did everything cost? :)

Less than 500US for rotors, used calipers and pads, brackets, hoses and fittings.

I have to bleed everything like crazy now as I forgot to bench test the master cylinder that I replaced.

Bruno
03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Hmm....I wonder if your brackets have the same bolt spread the Brembo calipers I bought have ??
I haven't had time to dealing with them yet. Let me know........also, which rotors did you install there ??
Cheers,Vinny

The brembo calipers are using the same rotors: 324x30. But they are design to work without a bracket... but they aren't cheap.
I just wanted people to have a cheaper alternative 500 BBK.

I still have race pads for the brembo calipers if anyone wants some, I also have race pads for the 850i single piston caliper.

Booster
03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
The brembo calipers are using the same rotors: 324x30. But they are design to work without a bracket... but they aren't cheap.
I just wanted people to have a cheaper alternative 500 BBK.

I still have race pads for the brembo calipers if anyone wants some, I also have race pads for the 850i single piston caliper.

Which rotor brand did you choose to run ? Ebay find ? Or web?

The Brembo's I have weren't originally on a BMW,rather a Viper. So I may have some fabbing to do thus why I inquired about your bracket bolt span.I'm running 18"x9.5" 3-piece ACS rims...so the rotor diam. won't be an issue.
Cheers,Vinny

Bruno
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Which rotor brand did you choose to run ? Ebay find ? Or web?

The Brembo's I have weren't originally on a BMW,rather a Viper. So I may have some fabbing to do thus why I inquired about your bracket bolt span.I'm running 18"x9.5" 3-piece ACS rims...so the rotor diam. won't be an issue.
Cheers,Vinny

I probably can make you a blank set of braket with the holes for the stock caliper attachment points. You will have to add the right spacer to locate the caliper perfectly centered on the rotor and drill the holes where they belong.
Then you locate, drill and tap where the new caliper will be located.

The adapter plates are for 3.5" caliper mounting points.
I am running BMW rotors: Rotors: OEM BMW 324x30 p/n: 34-11-6-756-087 (21.5lb) or 34-11-1-159-895 (22.9lb)
Both of these will work.

Booster
03-31-2008, 11:07 AM
I probably can make you a blank set of braket with the holes for the stock caliper attachment points. You will have to add the right spacer to locate the caliper perfectly centered on the rotor and drill the holes where they belong.
Then you locate, drill and tap where the new caliper will be located.

The adapter plates are for 3.5" caliper mounting points.
I am running BMW rotors: Rotors: OEM BMW 324x30 p/n: 34-11-6-756-087 (21.5lb) or 34-11-1-159-895 (22.9lb)
Both of these will work.

Great. I'll get the calipers back from the powder coater and check things out for fitments. I'll get back as soon as I can .
Thanks,Vinny

Booster
05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, these are the adaptor for the 324x30. The rotor size 334x32 do not fit under the aftermarket wheels I purchased... so I will need another set of rims.

Where's the best price for the OEM 324 x 30 rotors ??:)
Cheers,Vinny

Bruno
05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Where's the best price for the OEM 324 x 30 rotors ??:)
Cheers,Vinny
Cheap, around $60 - $70...

I am running brembo blank (no cross drilled crap).
Soon, I will make a different bracket and run a larger rotor if they fit my rims.

Booster
05-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Cheap, around $60 - $70...

I am running brembo blank (no cross drilled crap).
Soon, I will make a different bracket and run a larger rotor if they fit my rims.

WHen you searched for replacement rotors Bruno....what did you look under as a tag ? Which chasis replacement ?? E32,34,32 ??
Cheers,Vinny

Bruno
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
WHen you searched for replacement rotors Bruno....what did you look under as a tag ? Which chasis replacement ?? E32,34,32 ??
Cheers,Vinny

The smaller rotors are used by the 850csi, there is two versions:
Rotors: OEM BMW 324x30 p/n: 34-11-6-756-087 (21.5lb) or 34-11-1-159-895 (22.9lb)

I ran the car on the track again this week end, the front brakes are amazing with only 1.38" pistons, I don't even think that I am going to use larger pistons at the front as the car is alreay braking a lot, might also be because of the aggressive brake pads a I am using.
I will have to test with different brake pad compounds.

I might try to get a set of slighly larger piston to get better modulation on the brake pedal so I do not lock the front brake too often on the small tracks.

The other problem is that the E34/E28/E24 suspension isn't design for heavy braking like that and tends to shimmy under heavy braking when the bushings gets hot (exhaust runs very close to the thrust arm bushings)

Booster
05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Bruno.....will the rear 850I rotor also fit the E34 rear hubs ?
.V'

The smaller rotors are used by the 850csi, there is two versions:
Rotors: OEM BMW 324x30 p/n: 34-11-6-756-087 (21.5lb) or 34-11-1-159-895 (22.9lb)

I ran the car on the track again this week end, the front brakes are amazing with only 1.38" pistons, I don't even think that I am going to use larger pistons at the front as the car is alreay braking a lot, might also be because of the aggressive brake pads a I am using.
I will have to test with different brake pad compounds.

I might try to get a set of slighly larger piston to get better modulation on the brake pedal so I do not lock the front brake too often on the small tracks.

The other problem is that the E34/E28/E24 suspension isn't design for heavy braking like that and tends to shimmy under heavy braking when the bushings gets hot (exhaust runs very close to the thrust arm bushings)

Bruno
05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Bruno.....will the rear 850I rotor also fit the E34 rear hubs ?
.V'
Nope, get the 540i ones.

It really depends what you are trying to acheive.

Booster
05-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Nope, get the 540i ones.

It really depends what you are trying to acheive.

So...its 540 rears....850 fronts ?? And up to what years ??
Not to dissapoint you too much, but this car is going to be a pushed cruizer. No track days....just fun counrty twisty roads on the way to car shows and fun destinations.

So.....I'm wanting to source some drilled-slotted zinc plated rotors. I'll just take my chances for warping beyond break-in.:p

My wheels are 18" and I really wanted a nice looking rotor/caliper combo. I powdercoated my Brembo calipers abright red.

Of course.....I truly do want SOME upgrade in performance from these so good or better street padds will help some.
Cheers,vinny

Bruno
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
the drilled slotted zinc rotors is for looks right? Or for performance?

So...its 540 rears....850 fronts ?? And up to what years ??
Not to dissapoint you too much, but this car is going to be a pushed cruizer. No track days....just fun counrty twisty roads on the way to car shows and fun destinations.

So.....I'm wanting to source some drilled-slotted zinc plated rotors. I'll just take my chances for warping beyond break-in.:p

My wheels are 18" and I really wanted a nice looking rotor/caliper combo. I powdercoated my Brembo calipers abright red.

Of course.....I truly do want SOME upgrade in performance from these so good or better street padds will help some.
Cheers,vinny

Booster
05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
the drilled slotted zinc rotors is for looks right? Or for performance?

I have zero intention on getting ANY performance or life enhancement from them......so yes,mainly 'cool factor'...if that,lol.
I won't be grinding down on them too badly if ever. SO we'll see how they do.

So...850 front and 540 rear ? Is this right ?
''

attack eagle
05-12-2008, 02:47 PM
yes.

Bruno
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I have zero intention on getting ANY performance or life enhancement from them......so yes,mainly 'cool factor'...if that,lol.
I won't be grinding down on them too badly if ever. SO we'll see how they do.

So...850 front and 540 rear ? Is this right ?
''

As long as you are upgrading calipers, pads and rotors at the same time sure.
Go to bmwe34.net you have all the brakes options there.

healtoeit
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Figured this would be the right place to ask... If I upgrade to 850i fronts will they fit under my 15" steelies I use in winter?
thankx

Bruno
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Figured this would be the right place to ask... If I upgrade to 850i fronts will they fit under my 15" steelies I use in winter?
thankx

No they will not, they will fit under some 16" not all and probably all 17" and above.

healtoeit
05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
No they will not, they will fit under some 16" not all and probably all 17" and above.
Cool! thankx

Booster
05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
As long as you are upgrading calipers, pads and rotors at the same time sure.
Go to bmwe34.net you have all the brakes options there.

Yes...all will be knew. I'll post up when all is finished.

Anyone had good luck with aftermarket Stainles braided brake lines ? Which brands......any links ?
CHeers,Vinny

ThoreauHD
05-13-2008, 06:49 AM
I just picked up some steel/teflon brake lines from bavauto.com. Don't know why it's teflon. I guess if I wanna fry an egg on it, it'll be non-stick. Can't comment on quality as I haven't installed it yet.

Jon K
05-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Very interested Bruno please keep me posted as it'll save me the hassle of making the adapters. I would like to purchase a set in the first release.

Are they aluminum or steel?

Also don't worry about powder coating or painting them if you do have the ability to sell me some.

attack eagle
05-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I just picked up some steel/teflon brake lines from bavauto.com. Don't know why it's teflon. I guess if I wanna fry an egg on it, it'll be non-stick. Can't comment on quality as I haven't installed it yet.

teflon so it won't break as quickly... just remember they are a wear item... 12-18 months replace them on a DD. And seal them with clear heatshrink if not already done.
these SS lines won't pass the same DOT tests the OEM rubber lines do on their own.

Booster
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Very interested Bruno please keep me posted as it'll save me the hassle of making the adapters. I would like to purchase a set in the first release.

Are they aluminum or steel?

Also don't worry about powder coating or painting them if you do have the ability to sell me some.

Yeah....there's NO doubt that you'll be needing some stopping power Jon !!:p
Cheers,Vinny

bmwrp8
05-16-2008, 03:46 AM
wow!

MasssiveLee
05-16-2008, 04:47 PM
For people on a more extended budget, I would have suggested these babies: 14" x 1.25" (355mm x 32mm) rotors, aluminum hats and huge 6 pots calipers. Currently working on the rear 13" x 1.25" (332mm x 32mm) kit.

Stock front e34 M5 rotors are 318mm x 28mm.

Will fit many 17" wheels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/The%20Parts%20Factory/e34_355x32_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/The%20Parts%20Factory/e34_355x32mm_3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/The%20Parts%20Factory/e34_355x32_2.jpg

healtoeit
05-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Will fit many 17" wheels.

Are you positive? E34.net says you be wrong!
Those do look sexy though....

MasssiveLee
05-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Are you positive? E34.net says you be wrong!
Those do look sexy though....

I tested the kit with two different calipers. W6A and SL6R-14, and a couple of wheels. The W6A is beefier and has about 1/4" clearance on the perimeter, while the more compact SL6R-14 has 1/2". This exceptional clearance comes from the factory design of the e34 brakes, which has the caliper moved way inward, where the barrel's diameter is the biggest. I don't mean they will fit all wheels, but the kit does fit wide ones. I should have that new kit posted on my website next week. People will be able to download a profile of the kit with the bigger caliper, and print it on paper to check against their wheel.

Check here next week. www.massivebrakes.com

Booster
05-27-2008, 12:39 PM
In viewing your caliper position more closely....I noticed your bracket places the caliper more towards the 2:00 oclock position.:(
Is this because the stock mounting config is not condusive to using a new bracket allowing for 'stock like" positioning ??

The reason I ask.....I haven't seen the Gran Turismo M5 factory option set up in person .....so I really don't know how their bracket looks ? Anyone ???

I have my 540I new rotors in place(320x32).....and also noticed the Brembo caliper really won't allow a bracket design to sit in the same stock location.
Cheers,vinny

Bruno
05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I tested the kit with two different calipers. W6A and SL6R-14, and a couple of wheels. The W6A is beefier and has about 1/4" clearance on the perimeter, while the more compact SL6R-14 has 1/2". This exceptional clearance comes from the factory design of the e34 brakes, which has the caliper moved way inward, where the barrel's diameter is the biggest. I don't mean they will fit all wheels, but the kit does fit wide ones. I should have that new kit posted on my website next week. People will be able to download a profile of the kit with the bigger caliper, and print it on paper to check against their wheel.

Check here next week. www.massivebrakes.com

So, what piston diameter is the best for a stock pedal feel front and back, 4 pot calipers?

Lee in Ottawa
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
any update on the kit?

Bruno
06-04-2008, 07:38 AM
any update on the kit?

I am working on a new race design for the thrust arm and control arms, I am removing them and making them out of chromoly tubing and rod eye.
3 rod eyes and a triangle, one mounting point on the steering plate where the strut is bolt onto.

Once this is done (hopfully this week) I will start production on the BBK plates.

Booster
06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
In viewing your caliper position more closely....I noticed your bracket places the caliper more towards the 2:00 oclock position.
Is this because the stock mounting config is not condusive to using a new bracket allowing for 'stock like" positioning ??

The reason I ask.....I haven't seen the Gran Turismo M5 factory option set up in person .....so I really don't know how their bracket looks ? Anyone ???

I have my 540I new rotors in place(320x32).....and also noticed the Brembo caliper really won't allow a bracket design to sit in the same stock location.
Cheers,vinny

Bruno ???Can you address this for me ? DO you have a bracket picture for the caliper ?? That might help.
Cheers,Vinny

Bruno
06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Bruno ???Can you address this for me ? DO you have a bracket picture for the caliper ?? That might help.
Cheers,Vinny
Sorry I do not have more pictures of the bracket, I basically pulled the strut assembly out, and then I placed the caliper where it would fit with the right rotor in place, after some math and trial and error, we came up with a bracket solid enough that it will not break and that won't affect the caliper bleeding neither.
Then you drill and tap some holes and make everything fit, taking into account the routing of the hoses... Fun time consuming project.

Jon K
06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Not sure I'll be able to do this afterall given my front wheel selection

Bruno
06-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Not sure I'll be able to do this afterall given my front wheel selection

17' rims are plentiful nowdays :-) Good excuse to upgrade.

On a lighter note, my rod eye arms are going well... at the expense of sleep.

attack eagle
06-05-2008, 07:00 AM
he's going 15x4... :)

Bruno
06-05-2008, 07:02 AM
he's going 15x4... :)

Drag racing size... Well, they use blank non vented rotors with tiny little calipers. They don't brake much, they brake once.

Jon K
06-08-2008, 01:59 AM
I am going to run stock brakes - big brakes might actually fit since the wheel sit outs to celar the caliper. Bruno can you measure the clearance I'd need from teh rotor face (street side) out to the caliper edge? That way I can see if the caliper would fit behind the 15" wheel. Also, what about center of the wheel hub outward for the other dimension on the caliper.

Thanks

Here's what I am running

http://blowneuroz.com/525/Progress/weldskinnies2.jpg

Sam-Son
06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Jon are you gonna put BMW center caps in the welds?

Lee in Ottawa
06-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I am working on a new race design for the thrust arm and control arms, I am removing them and making them out of chromoly tubing and rod eye.
3 rod eyes and a triangle, one mounting point on the steering plate where the strut is bolt onto.

Once this is done (hopfully this week) I will start production on the BBK plates.
Wow is this for the e24 or will it work on the e34 aswell?