PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Help!

realness
03-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I am currently having a power steering issue. When I try to park I hear a loud whining sound when turning into a parking spot. I checked the p/s fluid and it is full. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? This noise is horrible

e34.535i.sport
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
I am currently having a power steering issue. When I try to park I hear a loud whining sound when turning into a parking spot. I checked the p/s fluid and it is full. Does anyone know how I can resolve this issue? This noise is horrible

I have a noise on mine only when parking - its more of a growl type noise though (hard to describe!).

Try bleeding the system, apparently it can get air in it sometimes... The procedure is on here or e34.net i'm sure.

pingu
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I think some models have a filter in the power steering reservoir - if yours has a filter than maybe your filter is blocked. You could try changing the power steering oil if it's of unknown provenance.

For reference, on my car the power steering is louder when it's at one of the end stops but there's no way I'd describe it as a loud whining noise.

AngryPopTart
03-26-2008, 02:29 PM
I would try changing the fluid as well. I know there are ways to bleed the system and refill the whole thing, but I just use a baster to suck out as much as possible out of the power steering resevoir and then fill it back up with new fluid, and keep doing that for three or four days (so long as I've been driving it every day) until it looks very thick/rich when I check it.

If you have the type that just calls for Dexron tranny fluid then I would use a good name brand; don't use that recycled fluid they sell at mini-marts and such that's like water.

realness
03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
The noise is hard to describe, but it sounds like a squeaky door that needs oil. At first I thought it had something to do with the cold weather. But this morning it was in the mid 40’s and the noise was there when I pulled out of my drive way and was still there when I got to work 20 minutes later. The temperature is currently 59. I will post later on to let you all know if the noise is still there.

realness
03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I would try changing the fluid as well. I know there are ways to bleed the system and refill the whole thing, but I just use a baster to suck out as much as possible out of the power steering resevoir and then fill it back up with new fluid, and keep doing that for three or four days (so long as I've been driving it every day) until it looks very thick/rich when I check it.

If you have the type that just calls for Dexron tranny fluid then I would use a good name brand; don't use that recycled fluid they sell at mini-marts and such that's like water.

Mine does call for ATF. I will try to bleed the system

Ross
03-26-2008, 03:19 PM
A screeching would be the V-belt slipping. A whine or moaning is the pump cavitating, either from low fluid or aerated fluid.
Look in the resevoir to see if the fluid is foamy and check for leaks.
If you go to the trouble of bleeding just completely flush all the old fluid out.

ThoreauHD
03-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Mine is starting to sound like whale's mating doggie style. Whale song whenever I turn the wheel. I think I need to flush the sucker too.

realness
03-26-2008, 08:53 PM
A screeching would be the V-belt slipping. A whine or moaning is the pump cavitating, either from low fluid or aerated fluid.
Look in the resevoir to see if the fluid is foamy and check for leaks.
If you go to the trouble of bleeding just completely flush all the old fluid out.

I got in the car after work and the squeaky/screeching sound was still there. Do you recommend i change the v-belt? Where is the v-belt located? or Do i start with flushing out the old fluid out?

shogun
03-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I chnaged the filter and the fluid, and it is gone. Flushing all is even better, there are a lot of small holes inside a power steering gear. I disassembled some steering gears and found some almost clogged from old rubber stuff etc.

On my 1992 750 the power steering system even has 2 filters, one inside the Pentosin container, one inside the ASC+T line.

sneekens
03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I just changed my fluid but I still have the whining sound.... I cleaned the reservoir with all its gunk too... do you think the gunk went in my pump and stayed there?

sneekens
04-01-2008, 06:24 AM
anyone?

e34.535i.sport
04-01-2008, 08:31 AM
I would try tightening your V-belts as Ross said... When turning the wheel your using more power so the belts will be spinning quicker, maybe slipping. Easy to do in five minutes, worth a check.

e34.535i.sport
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Where is the v-belt located exactly? Is it located near the p/s reservoir? Is it on the other side of the engine?

If you take the undertray off (if you have one?), and get underneath... there should be a belt that is visible that goes around the power steering pump... on the passenger side of the vehicle (RHD car)...

If you push on the belt with your thumb you shouldn't get much movement on it at all... There is a tensioner that has a big (19mm i think) nut on one side and a small nut on the other end (13mm i think) which you can use to tighten the belt. I couldn't find it for ages even though it is right in your face when you get under there - keep looking! Just loosen the 13mm nut off a bit and move the 19mm end one way to loosen the belt, and the other way to tighten it.

There is another larger belt above this one, the tensionerfor this one can be adjusted by leaning into the engine bay from above on the passenger side.

If you don't know when they were last changed I would get some new ones and replace them and make sure they are tight enough (but not overly so)... I think its 6mm of movement on one and 10mm of movement on the other one but check your haynes or whatever)... Mine looked fine from outside but were squealing so I took them off, and they were badly worn and cracked on the inside! Worth changing as they aren't costly.

It could cost you a LOT more if one snaps...

realness
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I got in my car this morning and i dont have the squeaky sound. this is bizzare.

Where is the v-belt located?

Ross
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
You may have had air in the oil which settled out overnight.
The v-belt is the belt that operates the pump. Check it for tightness, perhaps a half inch of "slack" if you tug on it.

realness
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
You may have had air in the oil which settled out overnight.
The v-belt is the belt that operates the pump. Check it for tightness, perhaps a half inch of "slack" if you tug on it.

Where is the v-belt located exactly? Is it located near the p/s reservoir? Is it on the other side of the engine?