PDA

View Full Version : Fan clutch, oil filter housing, few ???

alex 1993 525i auto
03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi all, I have a few ???

My fan clutch wobbles a little bit (it oscillates not perfectly even) and I think this causes the car to do a kind of 'toc-toc-toc' sound, at a beat of 2 per second. It doesn't sound like a valve ticking noise.

So I guess I'm good for a new fan clutch, but is there other things this wobbly fan clutch may have worned out and I should replace as well, as I'll be there?

Also, It looks like my oil filter housing is leaking oil, it looks like the gasket is fairly cheap, but does anyone have done this gasket replacement before? How to? and are some special tools required?

Where do you guys get distilled water for coolant dilution?

Which is the best degreaser-dirt cleaner?

Thanks for your help!

Ross
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Time for a new fan clutch then. Replacing the (cheap) water pump is a good idea while you are at it. There is plenty written about the procedure.
Any grocery store will have distilled water by the gallon.
No special tools required for either job other than a thin 32mm open end wrench, grind one or try a bicycle store. The clutch threads are LEFT HAND.

whiskychaser
03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Time for a new fan clutch then. Replacing the (cheap) water pump is a good idea while you are at it. There is plenty written about the procedure.
Any grocery store will have distilled water by the gallon.
No special tools required for either job other than a thin 32mm open end wrench, grind one or try a bicycle store. The clutch threads are LEFT HAND.
Ross said it all. But if yours looks like this, you should get items 3,6 and 7 in with a new oil filter:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=11_0526&hg=11&fg=30

e34.535i.sport
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Fan clutch is a really easy job, and gives good access to the water pump while your there if you don't know its history you may as well replace it as its only cheap and not a big job. Particularly if your draining the coolant too... And i'd replace the coolant hoses while coolant's out, I had to replace my coolant several times because of hoses splitting. Then I changed the lot out and haven't had a problem since.

I never bother with distilled water to be honest... Maybe I should though.

Good luck with it all anyway Alex...

alex 1993 525i auto
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for every infos people,

For the remaining of the coolant system most of it is quite new:

10/07-208k Replaced all cooling hoses and heater hoses, clamps, etc.

06/07-202k Heater valve and auxiliairy water pump replaced.

12/06-197k BLOWN COOLING HOSE (small one, close to the throttle body and air flow meter), OVERHEATED! (hose replaced, new coolant liquid).

12/06-196k Coolant temperature sensors (2) replaced.

11/06-195k Radiator, water pump, water pump pulley, termostat and termostat gasket replaced. (+ 60-80k next)

09/06-193k BLOWN COOLING HOSE, OVERHEATED! Upper radiator hose, connection flange, O-ring, profile-gasket, thermostat, termostat housing, coolant level sensor, coolant level switch, bulb and antifreeze replaced.

As you can see everything is less than 2 years old (beside fan clutch and blade...), that's why it pisses me off to see it dripping from thermostat housing! With a 1.5 year old coolant pump should I change it again when replacing fan clutch?

Adnan
03-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi all, I have a few ???
Also, It looks like my oil filter housing is leaking oil, it looks like the gasket is fairly cheap, but does anyone have done this gasket replacement before? How to? and are some special tools required?

Where do you guys get distilled water for coolant dilution?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

You don't say where exactly the oil filter housing is leaking from. If it's where it attaches to the block, you have to change the paper gasket. Procedure is not difficult but you may have to pull the alternator off first. Other than that, it takes four bolts and it's a quick procedure.

I buy distilled water from my local grocery store.

Regards,
Adnan

Adnan
03-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks Adnan,

my oil filter canister leaks from where it attaches to the block indeed, at the bottom of the block.

I'll let you know how it went for me (I'm kind of new DIY).

Hi,

I have one, left over from my two canister replacements. You can have it if you send me your address (I'm in the SF Bay Area so it should get to you in a day via USPS).

The only thing to watch for is oil leaking out as you crack open the bolts. Stuff rags in there as you go and keep extra ones handy. Of course, first drain the canister well. A syringe and tubing can help get the last few drops of oil out.

Regards,
Adnan

Adnan
03-27-2008, 08:57 AM
It is very kind of you, but I live in Canada now, not anymore in San Diego...

The dealer here quoted me 6.68$ for this gasket so I wonder if it worth the time and money to send me your extra gasket... If you feel good about getting rid of it please help yourself! (150 rue Ethier, Terrebonne, QC J6Y 1A1, Canada, a normal letter takes 2 US stamps to get here). Your extra gasket is part no. 11421719855 to fit my M50TU (525i 1993 build 05)?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Sorry about that but mine won't work for your car. I should have paid more attention to your model year. If it did fit, I would have mailed it to you. Canada, San Diego, same difference :-)

Good luck with the repair!

Regards,
Adnan

alex 1993 525i auto
03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks Adnan,

my oil filter canister leaks from where it attaches to the block indeed, at the bottom of the block.

I'll let you know how it went for me (I'm kind of new DIY).

alex 1993 525i auto
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi,

I have one, left over from my two canister replacements. You can have it if you send me your address (I'm in the SF Bay Area so it should get to you in a day via USPS).

Regards,
Adnan

It is very kind of you, but I live in Canada now, not anymore in San Diego...

The dealer here quoted me 6.68$ for this gasket so I wonder if it worth the time and money to send me your extra gasket... If you feel good about getting rid of it please help yourself! (150 rue Ethier, Terrebonne, QC J6Y 1A1, Canada, a normal letter takes 2 US stamps to get here). Your extra gasket is part no. 11421719855 to fit my M50TU (525i 1993 build 05)?

Alex

alex 1993 525i auto
06-06-2010, 12:08 AM
2 years later, asking to 3 Indie BMW shops and one dealer where was going engine oil (was leaking 1 quart / 500 miles), also bought oil leak finder (red dye with UV lamp to trace it), finally found the problem. The oil leak was not at the oil filter housing (where it connect to the engine block). It was at the Vanos cover-engine head, no gasket was there, metal to metal! Not even a trace of sealant as well.

Found that when I replace the vanos seal (Beisan seal/procedure), along with upgrading to diaphragm spring. After 100$ in parts (Beisan), 200$ in tools (the special tools to lock the cams, tdc, etc), all is fine, no oil leak since 2000 miles. For those who don't know yet how to cure the 'tac-tac-tac-tac-...) sound heard at idle, have a look at Beisan, not hard to do, just fun learning and killed 2 birds with one stone for me.