PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Removing/Replacing Stereo Head Unit

djregister70
03-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I am replacing the OEM head unit in my 95 525i with a CD43. I understand this is just a plug and play easy thing to do. Just a couple questions. Do I need to disconnect the battery before doing this?
Also, how exactly do I remove the existing unit? The new unit came with a small hex wrench and no install instructions.
I have come across lots of how to's for more complicated stereo/amp ipod upgrades, but can't find help with this "simple", (probably obvious to most mechanically inclined people) task. Thanks for the help.

bcohoon
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
can't get much "newbier" than me.. but I'll take a wack before you get hit with the "do a search" mantra. I didn't disconnect the battery. There are 2 tiny "doors" on each side of the unit faceplate... look closely. Pry open with a super skinny, padded screwdriver... accessing the screws. Use your provided wrench.. asssuming it's right... not really a hex... and loosen the screws until the unit comes free. You'll need the code.

djregister70
03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
That is exactly what I thought, but wanted to be sure about the battery; glad I don't have to pull up that back seat! BTW- I did do a search, but I think it is so "elementary" that it has never been asked. Felt sort of like a DA even asking, but, oh well.....

can't get much "newbier" than me.. but I'll take a wack before you get hit with the "do a search" mantra. I didn't disconnect the battery. There are 2 tiny "doors" on each side of the unit faceplate... look closely. Pry open with a super skinny, padded screwdriver... accessing the screws. Use your provided wrench.. asssuming it's right... not really a hex... and loosen the screws until the unit comes free. You'll need the code.