PDA

View Full Version : how do you remove snap rings with no ears?

ryan roopnarine
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
i am in the middle of disassembling my auto trans and have came upon a "snap ring" that has no ears. it looks like an O with a tiny snippet removed. the bmw instructions specify using snap ring pliers to remove it, but i've never dealt with a no ear one. i though that the ring this size in the rebuild kit was not going to be used so i just went out and bought some generic snap ring pliers. please help this mechanical retard out. thanks

bmwpower
03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
You need 2 small screwdrivers. With one screwdriver, hold the end of the ring in place to keep it from spinning. Then use the other screwdriver to pry up the other end of the ring. Pry it up and out. It might help to move the 2nd screwdriver around while pulling out the rest of the ring.

Tiger
03-25-2008, 06:30 PM
Ryan, there is a tool to take off that type of snap ring. I got one myself. I think mine is made by Lisle which is owned by OTC now...... I bought it at the large Sears store.

I think this is it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947386000P?vName=Automotive&keyword=ring

winfred
03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
usually a L shaped or straight pick will get it, sometimes depending on the ring you may need a 2nd pointy thing

ryan roopnarine
03-25-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks. stupid question.....the rebuild kit didn't come with a snap ring big enough to replace this one. would it be ok to reuse it if i didn';t abuse it in taking it off? thanks.

Ross
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Be sure this isn't a sealing ring.

whiskychaser
03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
You need 2 small screwdrivers. With one screwdriver, hold the end of the ring in place to keep it from spinning. Then use the other screwdriver to pry up the other end of the ring. Pry it up and out. It might help to move the 2nd screwdriver around while pulling out the rest of the ring.
x1. And get some plasters for when you stick the screwdriver in your finger:(

ryan roopnarine
03-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Be sure this isn't a sealing ring. the hardware to "replace" this ring is supposed to be in the sealing ring bag, and i bought two of them. neither has one that will fit to replace the clip, and that is why i am thinking about reusing the old one.

Ross
03-27-2008, 08:31 AM
This turned into a big project, didn't it?
I'm no tranny expert but wouldn't even remove a seal if I wasn't going to replace it for fear it will break.

ryan roopnarine
03-27-2008, 08:49 AM
considering that even the nasty stuff that permatex gasket remover contains wasn't enough to get that gasket off the oil pump--3 hours last night with gasket remover and a dull flat blade screwdriver only got about 80% off. yeah, it is kind of sizeable. i count at least 4 gaskets that were either ingested into the filter or tranny oil or not put back on when this tranny was last rebuilt. when you do it with love, you do it right, lest your friends laugh at you when it breaks again.

the thing was that the ring in the set of sealing rings LOOKED like it was the perfect fit until you actually get the old one off, or i would have held off on doing this.