PDA

View Full Version : Only brakes

e34.535i.sport
03-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Recently bought a rad from Germany for half the price I would have paid in the UK. Worked out great. Today I got the the 'brake lining' warning on so its time to replace. I have a motor factors within 5 minutes walk but dont want to go there again - the pads are good but they squeal when its damp. So I find this and I am thinking maybe another great deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-series-E34-vented-brake-discs-pads-front_W0QQitemZ360033523231QQihZ023QQcategoryZ1037 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is I dont recognise the make on the box. A rad is one thing-brakes are another. So unless anyone recognises the box I may well go Mintex instead. Any comments?

I got ATE discs and pads from EUROCARPARTS down your way for a good price and I haven't drove through any walls yet... YET. No seriously though they've been pretty good to be honest.

If you do go down there when they give you a price you can normally get them to knock a bit more off as they have some discounts they can apply if they're in a good mood. Depends who's behind the counter at the time i've found.

e34.535i.sport
03-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Just had a swift look and those ebay parts are CHEEEAAAAPPPPP!

Eurocarparts reckon...

ATE discs £33.36 each and ATE pads £27.28. (+VAT)

Not quite as cheap as the others, but they've been reliable for me. May be worth trying the ebay ones for £50 odd and letting me know if they're any good! ;)

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Having just watched a guy dismantle his WRC Subaru due to fake pads coming off the back-plates all I can say is, be carefull. UK pads can be pure fakes, a set of my old ones did`nt complete a lap of the ring.

Ferret
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Go Textar, or ATE pads from ECP/GSF whiskychaser - they're the best I've tried.

ATE/Brembo disks.

Also they're the best quality pads I've ever handled - come with a heatproof rubber skin on the back of them to stop any kind of squealing while braking. They feel like quality when you get them out the box.

Cheap brakes for the E34 will stop you... once. If you're up for soiling your underwear, grab a set of halfords E34 pads (bargain at £17.90!,) and then brake down from 90 coming off a motorway slip road - evade the roundabout at the top as you sail past it still doing 40 because you cant stop, then nearly plant it into the nearest roadsign as you're still carrying too much speed to get around the next corner..

The brakes are the one place I'd *always* overspend on - I've learned my lesson after having put halfords pads on - which stayed on for less than 2 hours before I binned them.

e34.535i.sport
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Go Textar, or ATE pads from ECP/GSF whiskychaser - they're the best I've tried.

ATE/Brembo disks.

Also they're the best quality pads I've ever handled - come with a heatproof rubber skin on the back of them to stop any kind of squealing while braking. They feel like quality when you get them out the box.

Cheap brakes for the E34 will stop you... once. If you're up for soiling your underwear, grab a set of halfords E34 pads (bargain at £17.90!,) and then brake down from 90 coming off a motorway slip road - evade the roundabout at the top as you sail past it still doing 40 because you cant stop, then nearly plant it into the nearest roadsign as you're still carrying too much speed to get around the next corner..

The brakes are the one place I'd *always* overspend on - I've learned my lesson after having put halfords pads on - which stayed on for less than 2 hours before I binned them.

Do you still have them they sound like fun?

whiskychaser
03-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Recently bought a rad from Germany for half the price I would have paid in the UK. Worked out great. Today I got the the 'brake lining' warning on so its time to replace. I have a motor factors within 5 minutes walk but dont want to go there again - the pads are good but they squeal when its damp. So I find this and I am thinking maybe another great deal:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-series-E34-vented-brake-discs-pads-front_W0QQitemZ360033523231QQihZ023QQcategoryZ1037 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The problem is I dont recognise the make on the box. A rad is one thing-brakes are another. So unless anyone recognises the box I may well go Mintex instead. Any comments?

billy
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Have you tried eurocarparts.com - free postage in UK

Ive priced up the cost of pads and discs and it comes to £15 less than the ebay auction, inc postage - you could however go for better makes and pay a bit more on euro, theres a choice of makes
I use them all the time, fantastic quality and service

Ross
03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
The packaging emulates Ate. I would assume Chinese imports on the rotors and brand X pads for the price.
So maybe they aren't the greatest but the price is right and they will stop the car.

e34.535i.sport
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Have you tried eurocarparts.com - free postage in UK

Ive priced up the cost of pads and discs and it comes to £15 less than the ebay auction, inc postage - you could however go for better makes and pay a bit more on euro, theres a choice of makes
I use them all the time, fantastic quality and service

That's new, it used to be free if you spent over £50 or £100 or whatever... Saves me driving up there now - made up!

whiskychaser
03-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Just had a swift look and those ebay parts are CHEEEAAAAPPPPP!

Eurocarparts reckon...

ATE discs £33.36 each and ATE pads £27.28. (+VAT)

Not quite as cheap as the others, but they've been reliable for me. May be worth trying the ebay ones for £50 odd and letting me know if they're any good! ;)
Yep. They are really cheap. I was attracted because we in the UK always get ripped off on car and car part prices. But as we dont know the make they could be anybody's 'budget' stuff and its not worth the risk. I fancy giving Mintex a try as they do a kit that 'pairs' discs and pads. Havent found them for the E34 yet but will keep looking. Thanks to all for comments

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Been waiting for a couple of dry hours when I could get the wheels off and confirm whats needed. The good news is it doesnt need pads or discs. The pads I fitted about 2 years ago look virtually new. Must admit I was a bit surprised when I got the 'brake lining' warning. Sensor wiring at the back is fine but I find the front is chafed. Clever me spotting it as it was at the back! Repair done, turn the ignition on - and the warning is still there. Thats what you get for being a clever clogs. O/S/R wheel coming off in the morning. Even a clever clogs has to have dinnner

Jehu
04-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Can't you lot get Akebono over there? These pads have been while maybe not a Bargain......the best I've ever haaaaaaaaaaad!

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Can't you lot get Akebono over there? These pads have been while maybe not a Bargain......the best I've ever haaaaaaaaaaad!
Never heard of them. Googled them and they are said to make the brakes for McLaren. That why Hamilton isnt doing so good?:D

Jehu
04-12-2008, 04:05 PM
BillR says he likes them, what else is there to know? http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/search.php?searchid=430583

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=Jehu]BillR says he likes them, what else is there to know? QUOTE]
With respect to Bill, I dont know him from Adam. And the only person I trust to do my brakes is me. I just have to find out why my car tells me my brake linings are worn out when they are not. Thats got to be a lot more interesting and much cheaper than fitting discs and pads all round:)

Jehu
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I am still a relative newb when it comes to diagnosing issues which aren't blatantly obvious but... if your brake pad wear sensors are NOT worn thru triggering the message then my first educated guess would be the Check Control Module is malfunctioning. I suggest this based on MY assumption that after the plug from the pad wear sensor the next stop is the CCM so either the problem lies in that or maybe there's a short in the harness between the sensor and the CCM. Just flexing my speculative muscles here and will be interested to see where the fault lies. I assume you're saying the pads aren't worn from a visual inspection. Could the wear sensors be misfitted causing them to make premature contact?

As for BillR I believe he is a professional Automotive Mechanic who contributes his experience here .

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Could the wear sensors be misfitted causing them to make premature contact?

As for BillR I believe he is a professional Automotive Mechanic who contributes his experience here .
Is that a polite way of saying 'dont be a dope, you made a mess of fitting the sensors last time'?:) The sensor fits into the backplate and as the disc is about 3/8* away I think not. I thought I had found a break in the wiring but clearly not. As I said, no disrespect to Bill or anyone else. Be a bit dumb coming on here if you didnt want an opinion:D

Jehu
04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Is that a polite way of saying 'dont be a dope, you made a mess of fitting the sensors last time'?:) The sensor fits into the backplate and as the disc is about 3/8* away I think not. I thought I had found a break in the wiring but clearly not. As I said, no disrespect to Bill or anyone else. Be a bit dumb coming on here if you didnt want an opinion:D

LOL.. Nay,as i also said I am still a babe in the woods. Just trying out my logical rational with the scant,informal information I've garnered to date.. Nobody who chases Whiskey can be all that dumb..ever try this?
http://4giftsdirect.com/productimages/middletonWhiskey300.jpg

I bought my Uncle a bottle of this at $100US for his 75th Birthday a few years ago.. he had a few Gents over from the "Old Country" nobody seemed to think it was anything special.. Unc went back to his cheap Rye...

genphreak
04-12-2008, 10:44 PM
With respect to Bill, I dont know him from Adam. And the only person I trust to do my brakes is me. You can trust Bill R's opinion better than anyone outside the Werks. :) Nick

whiskychaser
04-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Nobody who chases Whiskey can be all that dumb..ever try this?
http://4giftsdirect.com/productimages/middletonWhiskey300.jpg

I bought my Uncle a bottle of this at $100US for his 75th Birthday a few years ago.. he had a few Gents over from the "Old Country" nobody seemed to think it was anything special.. Unc went back to his cheap Rye...
There was probably a bit of leg pulling when they said it wasnt anything special:)

whiskychaser
04-13-2008, 06:58 AM
In between the showers checked the back sensor and got a reading of 2.5 megs and even that wasnt stable. The sensor is shot. Confirmed by jumpering the circuit and got no brake lining warning. Off to the dealer tomorrow to get one. When the pads are REALLY due for replacement it will be getting new discs too. Thanks for all comments and support:)

Ross
04-13-2008, 07:59 AM
Having just watched a guy dismantle his WRC Subaru due to fake pads coming off the back-plates all I can say is, be carefull. UK pads can be pure fakes, a set of my old ones did`nt complete a lap of the ring.
One less Subaru is fine by me.

leicesterboy15
04-14-2008, 05:02 AM
I know the brake discussion is over but I'm gonna post anyway :)

How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270227040844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I've heard good things about them from a few people that have had them fitted but none on an e34. I don't think these fit the 540 but good for the rest and this guy seems to have a few even though this auction is over.

I got my car back from the dealer the other day (recall) and there were a few advisories that I'm taking with a pinch of salt, one of them was that my discs are low all round so I'm looking around for the best part / cost combination now so I'm ready when the time comes. Is it worth going for grooved discs or don't they provide a good enough advantage over just vented?

leicesterboy15
04-14-2008, 06:06 AM
While we're on the subject of brakes, found these mintex pads:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-SERIES-E34-FRONT-MINTEX-DISC-BRAKE-PADS_W0QQitemZ280216646890QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 280216646890

e34.535i.sport
04-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey check these out... Only up the road from you too and good prices.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Search_Results.asp

I got the normal ATE discs and pads for the front and they've been absolutely great but I've heard good things about these ones. Ended up getting the rears from the Dealer as they were 'reasonably' priced :p .

I think the EBC greenstuff pads have mixed reviews I think... Can't remember why at the moment...

How you getting on brake-wise anyway Whisky?

whiskychaser
04-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey check these out... Only up the road from you too and good prices.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecommerce/Search_Results.asp

I got the normal ATE discs and pads for the front and they've been absolutely great but I've heard good things about these ones. Ended up getting the rears from the Dealer as they were 'reasonably' priced :p .

I think the EBC greenstuff pads have mixed reviews I think... Can't remember why at the moment...

How you getting on brake-wise anyway Whisky?
I put Mintex on my son's car because they have a good reputation and they were sold as 'paired' ie the discs and pads were made for each other. If you are a parent you know you dont fck about with your kids' safety. I checked them out for the E34 (as Leicesterboy suggests) but couldnt find the discs to go with them. Just to clarify, my rear brake sensor failed though my pads are hardly worn after two years. So you could say I can put any old **** on my car because of how I drive. Only I want to be able to stop if its YOUR kid that runs out in front of me. Cats, dogs, sheep, goats and whatever the highway code says you have to report dont even get a brake light