PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compatibility

E34-520iSE
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
If it's a later 1990 the replacement engine is called an M50 engine. They do swap over with M20's, and I'm not aware of any differences in the manual gearboxes for either engine (if it's a manual). You will need the engine bay wiring loom and ECU too to run the M50, and your battery tray can stay in the engine bay too, there is enough space, just you'll need to fiddle with the wiring a little bit. If your car hasn't got aircon then just strip the pump etc off the M50 engine before you drop it in. You could put the M50 engine & 'box into the car as a complete assembly if you're feeling adventurous!

HTH,

Shaun M

benito
03-25-2008, 12:29 PM
My brother drives E34 , 520i from 1989. that has 95Kw.

But, he needs new engine.

He found 1990. E34, 520i that has 110Kw. That car also has air condition, so we
saw that a cooler is different.

Does anybody know are those two engines compatible. Can we put 110kw engine instead of our 95 kw?

thanks;)

Morgenster
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
My brother drives E34 , 520i from 1989. that has 95Kw.

But, he needs new engine.

He found 1990. E34, 520i that has 110Kw. That car also has air condition, so we
saw that a cooler is different.

Does anybody know are those two engines compatible. Can we put 110kw engine instead of our 95 kw?

thanks;)

I think it's not easy. The guy I bought my parts car from had thought of doing this and his mechanic said no.
But, and I'm not so sure about this, I think it can be done if you keep the trans and engine together. It's not plug and play though.
Many knowledgeable people here will tell you more.

benito
03-25-2008, 12:53 PM
I think it's not easy. The guy I bought my parts car from had thought of doing this and his mechanic said no.
But, and I'm not so sure about this, I think it can be done if you keep the trans and engine together. It's not plug and play though.
Many knowledgeable people here will tell you more.

Plesase, if anyone know more, it will be very helpfull to us!:)

billy
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm not aware of any differences in the manual gearboxes for either engine (if it's a manual). Shaun M

The m20 gearbox won't fit the m50 engine. You have an m20 engine and the later one is an m50

there will be so many things you will need to replace, not to mention that if you wanted to fit the air con from the m50 you would have to rip out the dashboard to fit the new matrix.

just fix the original engine or get a new car would be my humble suggestion

healtoeit
03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
he needs new engine.
What is wrong with it?