PDA

View Full Version : 525 tds won't start in the cold mornings

ratwing
03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
'96 e34 used to start no problem whatever the weather (turn on ignition/orange light goes out/it starts first turn of the key) but in the last few days on cold mornings it won't start easily - if I keep the motor spinning for 10-15 seconds it'll eventually start. Is this a common problem or just a case of getting out the multimeter and checking everything in the glowplug circuit to see whats failed? (I've been tempted to use easystart spray but the handbook says don't, anyone know why?) Thanks guys.

Morgenster
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
'96 e34 used to start no problem whatever the weather (turn on ignition/orange light goes out/it starts first turn of the key) but in the last few days on cold mornings it won't start easily - if I keep the motor spinning for 10-15 seconds it'll eventually start. Is this a common problem or just a case of getting out the multimeter and checking everything in the glowplug circuit to see whats failed? (I've been tempted to use easystart spray but the handbook says don't, anyone know why?) Thanks guys.

Definitely sounds like a glowplug problem. Does the car start well after warming up?
Easystart spray AFAIK is normally used on gasoline cars. I'm not entirely sure but they could have included that comment to protect the airflowmeter or turbo if your car has one.
A dead glowplug won't kill the car, just smake it slow to start when cold.
I know of MB's with dead glowplugs that won't be replaced by the dealer because they tend to snap in the head and would require a HG job to replace.

Tiger
03-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Glow plug must be working... so pull out your multimeter and check each one individually.

Do not ever use starter fluid... instant blow a hole in piston squirt. And that means dead engine.

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Before you start any work, in the morning,operate the key/glowplugs at least 5 times.If it fires up on six straight away you do not have a glowplug problem.If it chimes in roughly its plugs, if not change your fuel filter but add fuel cleaner to new filter to the top, fire it up and rev hard(warm engine).How full was your tank when this happened and was the car on a slope? If anything was different to normal you may well have fuel contamination in the tank.Fot thread on pump removal to clean tank, get searching,its there somewhere!

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Dont Ever Use Easystart/or Equivalent On A Diesel, Kills Top Ring In An Instant.