PDA

View Full Version : 95 - 525iA auto transmission Q

bsell
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
First, I noticed my auto-tranny started to hesitate between the highest gear and the lower one while cruising at 70MPH. This starts happening 9 months ago.

Now, when I accelerate, it switches out of 1st okay, when it tries to switch out of 2nd to 3rd, I have to make sure I do not go over 2100 rpm. If I do, the engine will rev even higher and the car will shake. If I keep to 2100 or lower RPM, 3rd gear will catch and everything works like it should.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks

Is she leaving spots when parked? These slowly increasing symptoms sounds like a low fluid condition, possibly caused by a slow leak. I hope you haven't burnt up the clutches past the point of no return...

Brian

RobPatt
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
....though I think that's more of a 540ia issue, don't recall....but worth looking up.....

nganchris
03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
First, I noticed my auto-tranny started to hesitate between the highest gear and the lower one while cruising at 70MPH. This starts happening 9 months ago.

Now, when I accelerate, it switches out of 1st okay, when it tries to switch out of 2nd to 3rd, I have to make sure I do not go over 2100 rpm. If I do, the engine will rev even higher and the car will shake. If I keep to 2100 or lower RPM, 3rd gear will catch and everything works like it should.

Any idea what this might be?

Thanks

Ross
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Agreed. If after a quick stop it slips or slams into gear that is another low fluid symptom.

nganchris
03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Is she leaving spots when parked? These slowly increasing symptoms sounds like a low fluid condition, possibly caused by a slow leak. I hope you haven't burnt up the clutches past the point of no return...

Brian

I took it to the shop last week and they added 1/2 Qt of Tranny fluid. It runs a little better but still have the same shift problem.