PDA

View Full Version : On Board Computer - No power after swapping Heater Core

OhioTouring
03-23-2008, 12:59 PM
I just wrapped up replacing my heater core in my 1992 525i Wagon!!

Not a job I want to do everyday :)

Anyways, got it all back together and the onboard computer next to the radio is not working now. Any ideas on why, or has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any clues about this one!

Paul in NZ
03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
bulbs ?

bad_manners_god
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
I just wrapped up replacing my heater core in my 1992 525i Wagon!!

Not a job I want to do everyday :)

Anyways, got it all back together and the onboard computer next to the radio is not working now. Any ideas on why, or has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any clues about this one!

Make sure it's connected properly, could be out just a bit.

mikell
03-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Blown fuse?

OhioTouring
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Checked the fuses earlier today and they were ok. Will have to take things apart again so I can thoroughly check the connection. Although I did eject it and inserted it again..no dice.

billy
03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
The obc loom comes from the top of the dashboard and into the cage for the OBC, could you have severed a wire in replacing the core or perhaps disturbed the plug on the back of the OBC cage resuting it in not making a connection?

What did you remove in order to fit the new core?

shogun
03-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Do you mean no power at all?
There is a hiden fuse under the rear seat
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235/

OhioTouring
03-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Do you mean no power at all?
There is a hiden fuse under the rear seat
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/236235/

Yes, it appears to be no power at all. Had to get the car ready to get me to the airport tomorrow. I will check this fuse as soon as I get back. I didn't know this one was there.

I did completely disconnect it to get it out of the way so hopefully it's nothing more then a fuse or crappy connection.

billy
03-23-2008, 08:34 PM
why would it be a fuse though? it worked before you pulled it appart.

its more likely a loose connection, unless you damaged some wiring then it could be a fuse

OhioTouring
03-23-2008, 08:43 PM
why would it be a fuse though? it worked before you pulled it appart.

its more likely a loose connection, unless you damaged some wiring then it could be a fuse

Would it have mattered that I started the car without it connected? I hooked up the heater control panel started the car and checked for leaks before I put everything back together.

I did disconnect the computer and remove the plug from the dash bezel to get everything out of the way.

Since I still have half the dash apart, I will pull things back apart and test the connection. Has to be something simple. I just thought I might have screwed up by removing the thing!!!

billy
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
no would be fine started without it

as you removed the plug from the cage, id suggest checking that and also that you havent bent any pins in the back of the obc, which can happen if the plug is misaligned

Jehu
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I started mine with the OBC out to check for leaks before I refitted it when i replaced my HC and that didn't prevent it from operating when i reconected it.

OhioTouring
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
A bit more info.

Drove the car to the airport this morning the OBC does appear to be working. But, only when the lights are on and the LED is very dim. So, maybe it's a bulb? Without the lights on I do not see the LED's at all.

billy
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
A bit more info.

Drove the car to the airport this morning the OBC does appear to be working. But, only when the lights are on and the LED is very dim. So, maybe it's a bulb? Without the lights on I do not see the LED's at all.

There are 3 bulbs in the obc, you might need long nose pliers to get them out, twist and remove