PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering, AFTER changing tie-rod.

Dan in NZ
05-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Hey guys,
I had loose steering a while ago, and was improved a bit by tightening the steering column nut. Last week I had the tie-rods changed at the dealer so I could pass a Warrant Of Fitness, but now the steering feels looser than it did with the old tie-rods. They did a wheel alignment, balance and rotation all at the same time. I haven't heard any clunks or felt any shimmy, but i have noticed that under heavy braking it pulls erratically/ feels unstable. What has happened???

George M
05-23-2004, 06:21 AM
Get it checked to make sure the tie-rods are secure. Toe-in will affect stability under braking. Tell them what is up and see if they will put it on the rack and check their adjustment.
Good Luck,
George

Dan in NZ
05-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Get it checked to make sure the tie-rods are secure. Toe-in will affect stability under braking. Tell them what is up and see if they will put it on the rack and check their adjustment.
Good Luck,
George

Thanks, I have the printout from the computerised wheel alignment, and remember one setting being quite different from left-right. I'll check what this is and go back in.