PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Arm Install (I know, I know...)

ProZak
03-22-2008, 02:41 PM
...this has been discussed a zillion times, and I have read every thread / resource / website I can find, and I'm still stuck on the install. Specifically - getting the ball joints out with a tie rod puller ended up working quite nicely. Getting the new ones in, not so much. The self-locking nut starts to grab pretty early and the ball joint just spins in place, no joy. I'm trying to get my head around these instructions: (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/upper_arm.htm)

"5. If the ball joint turns while tightening the nut, use vice grips or pliers to hold the bottom of the ball joint to the steering plate."

Huh?

Can someone please enlighten me, or recommend an alternative procedure? Everything else is done.

Oh, and these are Lemforders from BMA. Thanks in advance, all.

-Zak-

Dave M
03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Do you have access to a cordless or corded impact gun?? Thats the easiest solution. If not, try tapping on it with a hammer to get it started.

Dave

e34.535i.sport
03-22-2008, 07:10 PM
I'd question the part - I've done my thrust and control arms and none spun on tightening - they should be tight shouldn't they? If not a big G-clamp might work if you can tighten it enough...

ProZak
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Do you have access to a cordless or corded impact gun?? Thats the easiest solution. If not, try tapping on it with a hammer to get it started.

Dave
Fraid not. :( I didn't bang on it at all, didn't want to mess up the joint.

Maybe I can get a clamp in there. Thanks for chiming in so quickly.

ProZak
03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd question the part - I've done my thrust and control arms and none spun on tightening - they should be tight shouldn't they? If not a big G-clamp might work if you can tighten it enough...
I hear ya, but both parts (L & R) were identical... I'm going to get under there tomorrow morning and see if I can get a clamp on it. Thanks!

632 Regal
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
man I go away for a while and you guys forget everything I taught you! lol... use a old a metric nut without the crimp or nylock to set it tight, then come back with the locking nut and torque it in. ;)

Dave M
03-22-2008, 09:04 PM

I've had new Lemforders want to spin. New nylox lock nuts are sticky buggers and grab at the ball joint pretty tight. Agree, a clamp should work to get the taper started on the steering arm.

Dave

DanDombrowski
03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, you got through the hard part (getting the ball joints out).

Anyway, I'd try to somehow clamp the two pieces together to get a bit of friction on them. Possibly use a large C clamp? Not really sure how I would suggest clamping them together. Maybe have a friend put some downward force on the thrust arm while you tighten the nut?

Like it was mentioned before, the best way would be with an impact gun.

e34.535i.sport
03-23-2008, 12:20 AM
man I go away for a while and you guys forget everything I taught you! lol... use a old a metric nut without the crimp or nylock to set it tight, then come back with the locking nut and torque it in. ;)

Tricks of the trade - I like it!

Ross
03-23-2008, 07:55 AM
Let some of the cars weight down on it, it won't turn.

quan325i
03-23-2008, 11:35 AM
This happened to me 2 weeks ago. I feel your pain. What worked for me in 1 minute was a 5" C-clamp. I struggled with the installation for hours as the balljoint kept spinning as I tried to tighten up the selflocking nuts. Clamping the sucker down and you'll be done in 5 mins.

QN

NovceGuru
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I hear ya, but both parts (L & R) were identical... I'm going to get under there tomorrow morning and see if I can get a clamp on it. Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean but the L & R thrust arms are not the same!!! Trust me!! OMG!

ProZak
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Gah! Brilliant! I'd do it if I hadn't already successfully c-clamped the sucker to apply some friction. Next time, for sure (this won't be my last E34, I reckon)

Thanks.

ProZak
03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Bingo. Success. Thanks, all!