PDA

View Full Version : Which Brake Pads to purchase from B&M and whether it's easy DIY?

rufryder
03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey guys,
Doing my bimmer's first brake job. Is it easy DIY? And, most importantly, I'd like to purchase the parts from B&M with Lifetime Warranty, so I can replace it every other year or so.

So, which parts do you recommend from Advanced Auto Part store from the following? I was thinking of going with Bendix. Plus whether to go with Silver, Titanium, Semi, etc.. (don't know which ones are on currently).

Wearever Silver Wearever Silver
Bendix Brake Pads: TitaniuMetallic IITM
Beck/Arnley Brake Pads: Semi-Metallic
Akebono Brake Pads: ProACTTM Ceramic
Raybestos Professional Grade Brake Pads

Any other useful tips will be great.
Current: 2002/530i/62k

Jeff N.
03-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Most everyone thinks the ceramic pads are superior for daily use.

Low dust, low noise, good bite.

Get either Akebono ceramic or Rabestos ceramics (not on your list but likely available).

rufryder
03-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Most everyone thinks the ceramic pads are superior for daily use.

Low dust, low noise, good bite.

Get either Akebono ceramic or Rabestos ceramics (not on your list but likely available).
You mean the #4 on the list? And these? which one out of the following?
Raybestos Quiet Stop Brake Pads

Jeff N.
03-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I believe you want to look for the Quietstop QS variety. I think the QS are the ceramic version. Search the archives are there as some posts on this.

You mean the #4 on the list? And these? which one out of the following?
Raybestos Quiet Stop Brake Pads

pgrindstaff
03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I just installed the Akebonos on my rears. They are quiet and I haven't noticed much dust. The job is pretty easy, take a look at http://www.bmw-540i.com. There are good directions/pictures there.

Bill R.
03-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro grade ceramic and a QS ceramic. The prograde is a little cheaper and it the shop grade ceramic. After doing many installs of both, I like the Akebono the best now and try to get all my customers to use them instead. Except they aren't available for all applications. Also Patrick and the folks at BMA now carry akebono also.

I believe you want to look for the Quietstop QS variety. I think the QS are the ceramic version. Search the archives are there as some posts on this.

e34.535i.sport
03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey there. I was nervous about the brakes when I done them for the first time a few months back. It was a really simple and enjoyable job looking back, you cant go wrong. Makes you appreciate what happens when you push that middle pedal!

Make sure you have:

1) 15mm (amongst others) socket and Ratchet.
2) 7mm allen key (purpose made for brke caliper removal)
3)Some sort of extension for the allen key for leverage (I used a wheel nut wrench with a hollow handle)
4) Brake cleaner (spray)
5) Wire Brush
6) 5mm allen key (for retaining screw on disc if changing those)
7) Copper grease to put on back of pads and carrier mounting points.

I think thats all you need but do some research to make sure and let us know how you get on.

Can't help you on brand choice... I either get BMW OE or ATE stuff. Good luck!

Jehu
03-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Pro grade ceramic and a QS ceramic. The prograde is a little cheaper and it the shop grade ceramic. After doing many installs of both, I like the Akebono the best now and try to get all my customers to use them instead. Except they aren't available for all applications. Also Patrick and the folks at BMA now carry akebono also.

Have you found any substantial difference in performance between the ProAct and the Euro with the akebono? If these proActs ever wear out I have a set of Euros ready to go... I'm impressed.

Jeff N.
03-23-2008, 06:02 AM
...now that the 535 is retired from track use, I want to swap over. It's like project number 423 on the list.