PDA

View Full Version : Bad news :(

Jon K
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
I was laid off today. Not looking for sympathy or anything, but it's pretty depressing. I was given an extremely good review in the fall and looked forward to a decent career at the location, but found out today I was laid off. Its nothing more than slightly depressing to be considered one of the harder workers in our small IT department while having your job retracted. So, yeah, finishing this car may be set on hold somewhat. It couldn't have come at a worse time.

If anyone in the SE PA, Western NJ area knows of any IT positions open, I am looking. I have filed unemployment and sent out resumes within 3 hrs of finding out, so I hope something comes my way. I hold a degree in Management of Information Technology and almost 9 months in a Gov't contract IT desktop/systems/network administration type position. Thanks for the positive words in advance.

Paul in NZ
03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
you have abundant skills and talents from what I have seen Jon.Its faintly disturbing isnt it.I work in the construction industry which has fairly regular cycles....I was made redundant once....the reason for me was my most comparable counterpart had a family and I didnt...so it doesnt necessarily reflect on your skills etc.

bmwpower
03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Did they give a reason?

Macv
03-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Aw man, that really hurts. A little patience and you'll spring back just fine. Was it one of those outsourcing deals?

Good luck my man!

Jon K
03-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Thanks everyone - I do understand its not personal and knowing my two managers and how affected they were even trying to tell me the news, I can see it was not personal. It is true, of all the guys in my department (3), I have the least financial worry. I am only 23, still at home, do some work on the side, no car payments, no mortgage, so I guess its better for me to take the blow than someone with kids in college with a mortgage and two or more car payments. They recognized my many talents and they were really upset that it had to happen.

It sucks, I only wish the nature of it wasn't a "ok, we're done with you" type feeling. I was one of maybe 10 or more layoffs so I know it was a means of paring back. Still sucks - oh well, came home and hit the web and updated my resume the moment I got in. I hope no one is in this position any time soon!

whiskychaser
03-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Been made redundant twice in my life. Its a blow to the ego and financially hard, especially if you have a wife and kids to support. Just remember it has nothing to do with you or your abilities-its somebody penny pinching. All the best with getting something else soon

Mitch90535im
03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Check out computerjobs.com and good luck.

repenttokyo
03-21-2008, 06:27 AM
every time I have lost my job it has lead to something better, without exception. you will be ok :)

525i winter driver
03-21-2008, 07:15 AM
good luck jon! i'm dying to see your car back together. it's always the young unmarried guys who get the rough road - maybe it's an opportunity in disguise?

Dave M
03-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Sorry to hear that Jon. I haven't a clue how to help you find IT work, but as an unmarried, un-'kidded' man of 23 years, still able to live at home, you're in a great position to make the best of this. Use your previous managers as much as possible to help you find that next job.

For reference, I didn't even consider University until 26 (bike racing bum for 10 years). Currently, my job is extremely tenuous since the US housing market is as soft as the US dollar :D This means that ‘you guys’ aren’t buying our lumber products and the forests they’re derived from don’t need the same level of management. So, get out there, get another well paying job and build me a beautiful, giant, wood framed house. Then finish your car ;)

Best of luck, although I don’t think you need it.

Dave

Phatty5BMW
03-21-2008, 08:58 AM
[/QUOTE] I hope no one is in this position any time soon![/QUOTE]

I am... I lost my job that I had for over two years, working 6 days a week, 60 hours a week, to a phone call on a sunday night, at 8:45 at night (have to get up at 3am) to "were letting you go"... Sucks.. I have a fiance, 2 kids, a St. Bernard, rent, bills. I will be 25 in a month.....I am getting unemployment for the time being while I get my CDL and start making more money.My uncle has cancer and can no longer drive his truck, So I will be driving for him. You got to look up and think of all the positives, rather than the negatives. Just think, You will find something better, you like more in a better atmosphere. Good luck man, I know what your going through....

-Pat

Bo525i
03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Bummer, that sux!

Sorry to hear that, but life will change for the better hopefully!

Good luck Jon.

E34N
03-21-2008, 01:24 PM
wow.. that does suck. I've been there. IT can be brutal.

I worked for a company that outsourced my position. I was lucky enough to get another position with the same company for more money... 6 months later, that group was outsourced too.

All in all, it usually works out for the better. Definitely nice that you don't have too much financial responsibilities right now. Best of luck!

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-21-2008, 01:49 PM
As everybody else has said, loook on the bright side,**** company if they did`nt appreciate your skills. Anybody who can do what you`ve done to your car should come over here and earn an honest living! Good luck mate......

Qube
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Now's a good time to think. Is IT really what you want to drudge in for the rest of your career? Sure, I make good money in IT, but I'm getting out at the first opportunity to do what I want to do for the rest of my life :)

gmannino
03-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Good luck with your career search.

mamilapon
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
You'll be right mate.I lost my job after 15 years working for an airline,6 years on and i cant imagine going back to work on planes again. you got an exciting future ahead of you Jon!!!

Jon K
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the positive words guys. Its true it does work out for the best so I will sit in here and see what comes of it. As for my car, it is also true I'll have time to finish her up. Spent 14 hrs today welding my exhaust up (who thought 4" exhaust on an E34 would be so difficult?) and doing other random crap. Tomorrow we trailer it from Pottstown back to my house and I can work on it here at my house - getting down to the wire and really excited. Thanks for being supportive and I am sure I don't have it worse - they gave me a list of those being laid off and seeing the ages "35...38...42....45" makes me think how cruel they are as these people probably have kids in college, mortgages, car payments... ugh it makes me hurt thinking about it.

Thanks again!

filip00
03-21-2008, 07:11 PM
sorry to hear the news jon... :( i hope something good comes your way. seeing what you are capable of, i don't doubt you'll get back on the road real soon.

mattyb
03-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Dito all above! mate thats ****ed but you're a person who does more than he talks(just take a look at that car!) so youll be right. maybe look OS where IT oppurtunites are just beginning.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Now you have time to finally finish the car

CharlesAFerg
03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
I read the top and thought someone hit your car while out on a test drive or something :P
Come on, you guys know it went through your hear before getting to the thread! :D

Best of luck Jon

stargazer_61
03-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Sorry to hear of your layoff, Jon. But as everyone else says, you'll bounce back with something better. Things happen for a reason.

Good luck!

Jr ///M5
03-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Jon,

While it's difficult to deal with, it's nothing personal and has nothing to do with you as a person or even your performance. It's strictly business. Look at it as an opportunity as other doors will open for you. It's up to you to notice "these doors" and make the correct choice.

So don't be too bummed about it, look at it like they gave you your freedom so you can explore other options. Stay focused on your goals and remember that your car is only a hobby, a release from the day of work, a place to go to clear your head and enjoy something you like doing.

Companies have to make decisions too. These are the most difficult ones, especially if the organization is slipping into trouble. They can take away your job, but they cannot take away your knowlege, enthusiasim or your youth. These are yours to keep for now, until you get old like me, and you trade youth for wisdom.

Feel free to use all of us on the board as references if needed...=)

Hoping the best for you,
JR

mikell
03-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Start your own business doing what you do best. If you're your own boss, you'll never get laid off. It's easiest when you have fewer financial burdens. Brains and tenacity are all you need.

rufryder
03-22-2008, 11:06 AM
I was laid off today. Not looking for sympathy or anything, but it's pretty depressing. I was given an extremely good review in the fall and looked forward to a decent career at the location, but found out today I was laid off. Its nothing more than slightly depressing to be considered one of the harder workers in our small IT department while having your job retracted. So, yeah, finishing this car may be set on hold somewhat. It couldn't have come at a worse time.

If anyone in the SE PA, Western NJ area knows of any IT positions open, I am looking. I have filed unemployment and sent out resumes within 3 hrs of finding out, so I hope something comes my way. I hold a degree in Management of Information Technology and almost 9 months in a Gov't contract IT desktop/systems/network administration type position. Thanks for the positive words in advance.
I was laid off 9 months ago, with 2 degrees and 10 years of experience and still out of work and in the similar I.T. field QA/Business Analyst. So, I understand your pain and frustration and we aren't far from each other (distance wise).

It is stressful but hey, nothing you can do. Do your best and continue to send resumes and let it be! If possible, take some free training classes, join some clubs (i.e., toastmasters, etc..) and just let it be. I know your pain dude... trust me! :) Let me know if you need any help with anything, B.S. references, or with types of jobs you are looking for, etc.. ;)

BuckNaked
03-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Sympathies, Jon. Really.
I did the IT thing in the Postal Service.
1999 the local district was looking for bodies to assist with Y2K effort, and I was self-taught with no formal training. They posted an opening for a 6 month stint, not to exceed 2 years. I saved their asses because I hustled. We were the only district in the country to complete ahead of schedule and under budget. I was in that job just under 3 years when they said buh-bye to me. The department had gone from 16 people down to three. 400 offices, 2,000 systems spread across western New York state, from Niagara Falls to Rochester inluding Elmira down to the PA line. They ended up reposting my job and giving it to someone's neice. She is now in the job I coveted, St. Petersburg, Fl. Me, I am back on the workroom floor driving forklift.

My advice to you would be to start your own contracting business. It would be better if you had a wife or sister, then it would be minority owned and the jobs would pour in. The only way to make money, 'real money' off the government is to be a contractor. Otherwise you are a disposable, abuseable.

Nowhere to go but up.

whiskychaser
03-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Jon,

While it's difficult to deal with, it's nothing personal and has nothing to do with you as a person or even your performance. It's strictly business. Look at it as an opportunity as other doors will open for you. It's up to you to notice "these doors" and make the correct choice.

So don't be too bummed about it, look at it like they gave you your freedom so you can explore other options. Stay focused on your goals and remember that your car is only a hobby, a release from the day of work, a place to go to clear your head and enjoy something you like doing.

Companies have to make decisions too. These are the most difficult ones, especially if the organization is slipping into trouble. They can take away your job, but they cannot take away your knowlege, enthusiasim or your youth. These are yours to keep for now, until you get old like me, and you trade youth for wisdom.

Feel free to use all of us on the board as references if needed...=)

Hoping the best for you,
JR
Sound advice. Somebody a lot wiser than me used to say they can take everything away from you but they cant take your education. Seems there are a lot of people on this site backing you up Jon. Give it a couple of months and we will be coming to you for a job

Sam-Son
03-25-2008, 05:46 PM
... no car payments...
welll thats not entirely true:D ;) :p

Sorry to hear about the misfortune Jon
I'm sure you'll bounce back soon

Sam-Son
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Actually I should update this...

Today I received a call from my former employer from the GM/President and he invited me back to work and said they made a bad decision... so... I am employed again!
Congrats! new it wouldnt be long

repenttokyo
03-25-2008, 06:12 PM

Today I received a call from my former employer from the GM/President and he invited me back to work and said they made a bad decision... so... I am employed again!

now you have to ask yourself if these are really the kind of people you want to be working for.

pros: they were man enough to own up to making a mistake. a rare thing in business.

cons: they were careless enough with your future to make that mistake in the first place.

repenttokyo
03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I think you are focusing on the wrong pros.

Pro: the realized the mistake and recognized my efforts and abilities as something worth keeping around. its easy to lay someone off and realize it was a bad decision, but its another to realize its a bad decision and then call them back and offer they come back.

Another assumption would be that I've now been laid off once at the company... what is the likelihood they'd let that happen again?

Dunno - you can spend hours thinking about it - I am just glad to go back because I like the job and the peoples.

isn't that exactly the same pro that i posted?

i am glad you are happy, but it's important to remember that companies have no personal interest in you - it is strictly about the bottom line. They had you back because you work well for them and you help them generate more profit, not because they personally care about you. The reason I say that is because it would be very easy for them to lay you off again, and it is not uncommon for that to occur. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Of course, right now the important thing is you once again have an income and you can finish your car :)

fin
03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Count your blessings.

I was terminated because they didn't like me or my 'style' of management.

If they hadn't, I probably wouldn't have worked as hard to make Commander in the Naval Reserves, with a subsequent Active Duty retirement worth more than the pay I was getting at that job.

The sweet revenge was when the company had to drop a product line for the very same product quality issues that I had been complaining about.

My practical advice is to always keep your resume current. That is, while your are unemployed, enroll in classes, wire your house for fiber optic cable, rebuild a car, etc. to show that you didn't get sucked into the couch until the unemployment ran out. And you'll feel better about yourself when you are accomplishing things.

"For every door that closes, Two shall open".

Fin

Jon K
03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
welll thats not entirely true:D ;) :p

Sorry to hear about the misfortune Jon
I'm sure you'll bounce back soon

Elekta
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
you're the second guy I know that's happed to. Gets canned one week, he goes on vacation with wife and kids, and while on vacation he gets a call saying they didn't need to let him go after all. He negotiated the cost of the vacation as a bonus and stayed out the long weekend.

when you work hard, you are valuable to somebody, and when that somebody finds out you were let go, then sometimes, he's the one who hires you right back..

kiss a karma tree right away

Jon K
03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
now you have to ask yourself if these are really the kind of people you want to be working for.

pros: they were man enough to own up to making a mistake. a rare thing in business.

cons: they were careless enough with your future to make that mistake in the first place.

I think you are focusing on the wrong pros.

Pro: the realized the mistake and recognized my efforts and abilities as something worth keeping around. its easy to lay someone off and realize it was a bad decision, but its another to realize its a bad decision and then call them back and offer they come back.

Another assumption would be that I've now been laid off once at the company... what is the likelihood they'd let that happen again?

Dunno - you can spend hours thinking about it - I am just glad to go back because I like the job and the peoples.

attack eagle
03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Definitely nice that you don't have too much financial responsibilities right now. Best of luck!

yeah he could be ohnoes

I was downsized once, not a nice feeling... but it was funny seeing the managers clustered together as if for protection since they were letting 200+ people go that day.
I told em if they were gonna let me go, to hurry up and get it iver with and not make me work for 3-4 hours and ax me 1/2 thru the day.

In any case, good luck Jon, I'm sure you will land on your feet. At least you have 90+% of your parts bought and installed already.

ThoreauHD
03-26-2008, 08:20 PM
One bit of advice, don't stay in an IT position at any one company for more than 4 years. Two years is optimal. Your opportunity for advancement, and your skillsets drop over time. It's good that you like the people and the job, but it obviously won't be there forever, so plan on getting canned again and leave for a better paying position before that happens.

Dave M
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Not even enough time to call it a vacation. Someone loves you...............

Dave

winfred
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
and that is the reason it's a good idea to not burn bridges :) taking a **** on his desk may of been fun but....:D

Ross
03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Glads to hear you're back to work. Your employer has some interesting HR practices.