PDA

View Full Version : Brake light circuit fixed!

bigtisas
03-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Just want to make a note in this forum for future reference. I had the famous "brake light circuit" random message for over 6 months. I replaced the brake light switch, battery, checked CMM, checked all brake lights and none of them fix the problem.

Turned out one of the side marker light on rear bumper was out and I didn't notice it. After I replaced the 5 watt light bulb and the rusty connector, the brake light circuit warning message went away. It's been a week without any warning message. I am happy. :)

whiskychaser
03-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Just want to make a note in this forum for future reference. I had the famous "brake light circuit" random message for over 6 months. I replaced the brake light switch, battery, checked CMM, checked all brake lights and none of them fix the problem.

Turned out one of the side marker light on rear bumper was out and I didn't notice it. After I replaced the 5 watt light bulb and the rusty connector, the brake light circuit warning message went away. It's been a week without any warning message. I am happy. :)
You would expect a brake light warning to have something to do with brake lights:D Glad to hear you got it sorted. Dont have markers on the bumpers on mine but its worth bearing in mind you can get spurious faults coming up

JD525IA
03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I had the same problem for a long time - turned out to be the switch under the dash, where brake pedal contacts it. Sometimes these cars hold on to codes and you have to reset them by removing battery power for a while.

I have had my two rear side markers out for weeks now, since I went to a car wash that had those spinning brushes that ripped offone of them. The bulbs were burned out already, but they lost the one that came off. The old ones were half broken and loose, so I was due for new ones.

Anyhow, I had no brake light message from this. I just got new ones from Pelican Parts and put them, and two new bulbs, in over the weekend.

Also, I do know that if you use a cheap aftermarket bulb in the tail light(s) and the resistance is off a bit, you will get the message. Dirty contacts cause the same message.

I also have a 1992 525ia.

JD

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
The side marker lights aren't monitored by the CCM.

Dirty brakelight switch

djregister70
03-19-2008, 06:52 PM

you know, come to think about it, that must have been the fix for mine, too. haven't seen the "brake light circuit" message since i replaced side marker lights! was just thinking the other day, that i was surprised i haven't been haunted by that message

bigtisas
03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry guys. I celebrated too early. I sold my car today and within an hour the new owner called me about the "brake light circuit" message. sigh....

JD525IA
03-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry guys. I celebrated too early. I sold my car today and within an hour the new owner called me about the "brake light circuit" message. sigh....

It worked for me once.