PDA

View Full Version : DME question

Niko G
05-22-2004, 08:51 PM
I just got my chip from Mark, I have an 89 535. DME number 0 261 200 179, i open the DME up and i see that the chip inside their is soldered in, i thought that they were removable. Do i have to go and get another DME from the junkyard or what ?

MarkD
05-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I just got my chip from Mark, I have an 89 535. DME number 0 261 200 179, i open the DME up and i see that the chip inside their is soldered in, i thought that they were removable. Do i have to go and get another DME from the junkyard or what ?

Heello Niko,

I've never seen a 0 261 200 179 DME that didn't have a socket. Maybe you have one of the replacement DME's from BMW that does not have a socket.
Can you post a picture?

Mark

Niko G
05-22-2004, 11:41 PM
sure let me go get set up, have on up in about 15 minutes

Niko G
05-22-2004, 11:57 PM

MarkD
05-23-2004, 09:40 AM

Hi Niko,

The DME you have is a replacement one from BMW and for some reason it has the soldered in chip. You would have to remove that one and install a socket. (I can do it in 20 minutes but unfortunately you are in the USA)
It may be better to buy a cheap DME from where Winfred works.

If you decide this is too much work, I can offer you a refund.

Mark

George M
05-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Mark,
Why don't you weigh in with Jeff N's post and discuss how the DME advances ignition timing on an M-30...if it is purely CPS/RPM dependent and how this would relate to changing camshaft position with a fixed distributor rotor bolted to the end of the cam. You may even have handy the ignition map knowing what the baseline and advance curve looks like as I presume you tweak this algorithm with your chip over and above changing air/fuel ratio in an effort to optimize performance of your chip. My guess is during your beta testing, you heavily relied on a small sample of different M-30's running on different grades of premium fuel that would permit a maximum level of advance just short of pre-donation....challenging that edge as good tuners do.
George

MarkD
05-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey Mark,
Why don't you weigh in with Jeff N's post and discuss how the DME advances ignition timing on an M-30...if it is purely CPS/RPM dependent and how this would relate to changing camshaft position with a fixed distributor rotor bolted to the end of the cam. You may even have handy the ignition map knowing what the baseline and advance curve looks like as I presume you tweak this algorithm with your chip over and above changing air/fuel ratio in an effort to optimize performance of your chip. My guess is during your beta testing, you heavily relied on a small sample of different M-30's running on different grades of premium fuel that would permit a maximum level of advance just short of pre-donation....challenging that edge as good tuners do.
George

Hello George,
I have not had time to post here much recently, so just scan the posts quickly. I've talked to Jeff via email and phone in the last few weeks also. I have many things to wrap up before Wednesday so probably won't be posting much till later.

Mark

George M
05-23-2004, 12:38 PM
take a time management class. The simple answer is taking your wireless laptop to the shitter and pounding out a 5 minute response...lol.
:p
George

Niko G
05-23-2004, 12:41 PM
thanks for offering a refund, i think ill get a replacement DME from my buddies at the BMW yard, since im a flat rater i wonder what KSD pays for this, lol. I will keep you posted and thanks again for your support

MarkD
05-23-2004, 12:57 PM
take a time management class. The simple answer is taking your wireless laptop to the shitter and pounding out a 5 minute response...lol.
:p
George

George,

I'd have to get a laptop first!

Mark

George M
05-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Hoped you got a laugh out of that Mark...figured you had a laptop with all the EPROM burning you do but apparently you do it away from the car.
Cheers,
George

MarkD
05-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Hoped you got a laugh out of that Mark...figured you had a laptop with all the EPROM burning you do but apparently you do it away from the car.
Cheers,
George

I have an old laptop that can be use for programming chips or to run my emulator, but it does not have internet access on it. I have to buy a new laptop soon as I'll be programming OBD-II cars in 2 weeks and will be travelling to the cars more often.

Mark

Bellicose Right Winger
05-23-2004, 03:41 PM
While a replacement DME will certainly fix your problem, a less expensive alternative would be to contact a local TV repair shop and ask them to give you a price to install an IC socket, I bet it'll only be $25 or so.

Paul Shovestul

thanks for offering a refund, i think ill get a replacement DME from my buddies at the BMW yard, since im a flat rater i wonder what KSD pays for this, lol. I will keep you posted and thanks again for your support

MarkD
05-23-2004, 04:22 PM
While a replacement DME will certainly fix your problem, a less expensive alternative would be to contact a local TV repair shop and ask them to give you a price to install an IC socket, I bet it'll only be $25 or so.

Paul Shovestul

Your correct, if you can actually find a TV repair shop. I never see them here in Toronto anymore, and it seems like most places just swap in modules these days.

Mark