PDA

View Full Version : M50 crank bolt torque?

Ferret
03-18-2008, 06:02 AM
whatcha mean a screw driver in ring gear teeth? should I find a 200 - 250 ft lb torque wrench or just use a big as breaker bar and torque her tight

Wedging the flywheel starter teeth with a big ass screwdriver I think is what he means... to hold the engine steady.

Jon K
03-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Hey all - going over my car with a fine tooth this weekend and next, and want to make sure everything is good. I know I did not torque the crank bolt yet. Can I put the car in 1st and rip the ebrake up and torque it or do I really need a flywheel pin of sorts? Anyway, should I use loctite at all? How many ft lb? Or just a huge breaker bar with "as tight as I can go?" help me out!

Thanks!

winfred
03-18-2008, 08:10 AM
the alignment pin probably wouldn't survive crank torque, i usually hit them with around 200-250ftlb clean, a prybar/bigass screwdriver between a couple ring gear teeth usually gets the job done, 1st gear it would walk all over the e-brake, maybe 5th would work, maybe with someone on the brakes

Jon K
03-18-2008, 08:47 AM
the alignment pin probably wouldn't survive crank torque, i usually hit them with around 200-250ftlb clean, a prybar/bigass screwdriver between a couple ring gear teeth usually gets the job done, 1st gear it would walk all over the e-brake, maybe 5th would work, maybe with someone on the brakes

whatcha mean a screw driver in ring gear teeth? should I find a 200 - 250 ft lb torque wrench or just use a big as breaker bar and torque her tight

Dave M
03-18-2008, 04:18 PM

Yep, find a 'big ass' 3/4 inch torque wrench. A local machine shop I frequent lent me one for the day. Double check the torque value as I thought it was higher than 250ft/lbs (I'm probably thinking in NM). I'd check, but my torque specs aren't at the office.

Park it up against something (if you have any sort of bumper on it), put it in 5th and tighten it.

Dave

nizmainiac
03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey all - going over my car with a fine tooth this weekend and next, and want to make sure everything is good. I know I did not torque the crank bolt yet. Can I put the car in 1st and rip the ebrake up and torque it or do I really need a flywheel pin of sorts? Anyway, should I use loctite at all? How many ft lb? Or just a huge breaker bar with "as tight as I can go?" help me out!

Thanks!
put it 4th gear and do it

whiskychaser
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Wedging the flywheel starter teeth with a big ass screwdriver I think is what he means... to hold the engine steady.
x1. But that means taking the starter out. High gear and a mate on the foot brake should do it easily. If you are under 60 you should get it tight enough with a breaker bar. To be honest I dont understand why TF it has to be so tight-its only holding a pulley on

Dave M
03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
FWIW, I just checked the BMW torque specs and it states 410 NM, which is ~300 ft/lbs.

Dave

winfred
03-18-2008, 09:42 PM
theres a usually a hole or something somewhere around the bellhousing that you can jam the engine from turning with a prybar

Jeff in MN
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM

Thanks!

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/501459

Just finished a head rebuild and timing chaing guide replacement on the M30 engine.