PDA

View Full Version : Nearly Impossible to find Gas odor leak...

e34m30SF
03-17-2008, 09:39 PM
As I start the car (makes no difference hot or cold) I can faintly smell gasoline. I recently replaced all of the hoses that lead to the engine, and ensured the clamps are tight, but i still smell it. It seems to come from the fuel pressure regulator, but that hose, though kinked, is dry.

the smell is kinda cool because i can brag to my passengers "oh, i'm leaking gas. are you feeling lucky?' but it gets old after a while.

I want to get this issue resolved before I pick up my 93 Touring, which i'm very excited about.

Omega
03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
What about the rubber hose from the hard line to the inlet manifold? On the M50/M52 engine the rubber bends through 90 degrees and splits with age. Due to the location it's difficult to see, but real easy to smell!

HTH.

repenttokyo
03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
if your injectors are clogged, you might be smelling gas that isn't burning completely upon combustion. same is true of worn spark plugs.

Rus
03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Stand on the driver side of your engine. Look just under the coolant reservoir. See a little rubber hose connecting two metal lines? That is known to leak quite often. Another possibility is that your fuel injectors are leaking on the outside. Its coming from somewhere and gas usually leaves a stain on the aluminum.