PDA

View Full Version : 91 525i tranny/linkage problem?

Jddogg
03-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Ok so, as i said before i have a 91 525i, automatic transmission.

My dumbass did a neutral drop and when it shited into drive made a loud grinding sorta noise. when i tried to step on the gas after, the engine would rev, but the car didnt move at all and made a knocking noise that sped up when you rev it, but the car doesnt move.

I'm assuming thats shift linkage right? I didnt want to call the shop asking the problem and a quote because we all know ill get raped for the price if they think i dont know whats wrong with the car, which is why im here.
If you could be specific, if it is shift linkage, do you think it completely snapped? or what.

Also if it is linkage, any idea on a ROUGH estimate in price to take it to a shop and have it fixed/replaced?

Jddogg
03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
bump

Phatty5BMW
03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Trans Program error?

Jddogg
03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
trans program?

Ross
03-23-2008, 08:22 AM
"My dumbass did a neutral drop"
What makes you think this would cause a linkage failure? Or that a linkage failure would make "loud grinding sorta noise"?
You broke something internal in your effort to burn rubber.
Perhaps getting raped for a new trans will keep you from abusing the new one.

ryan roopnarine
03-23-2008, 09:04 AM
go under the car and see if the rubber donut that connects the back of the trans to the driveshaft is still present. i just took the transmission out of the car and when i was pushing it back, it made a rather disturbing knocking noise as the driveshaft rotated.