PDA

View Full Version : slowly leaking radiator(?) - suggestions?

e34.535i.sport
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
The radiators over here are quite costly... I had a similar experience in my e46 and first thing I done was check all hoses for leaks/cracks... Also check hoseclamps are tight and the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator.

If all this fails there's a product over here called 'bars-leaks' that sorted my leak out and it only cost 5GBP... I'm sure over there you will have something equivalent?! Good luck with it...

ericole
03-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Back in January I had the coolant warning light come on. I checked, and there was almost no visible coolant in the tranparent plastic fill area of the radiator. I'd recently moved from VA to Huntsville, AL and don't have a good BMW-specific mechanic yet. So I called my guy in VA. He told me to top it off and if I didn't lose anymore that I was okay - something about being a typical trait after certain servicing I'd had done before moving. I did the deed, mixed some stuff up and topped it off. This last week I got the light again, and I checked and it was low - not like before, but still significant. After topping off again I started checking and I see that each day there are probably 3-5 big drops coming out on the garage floor.

Is there something I can do, some additive, for plugging a tiny hole? Or do I need to look at having the radiator replaced? I have to verify this (at work now), but I think the radiator is original.

Thanks!
Eric

Scott C
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
No, I don't know that it's not a hose. I just know there are drops on the floor. :) What's the best way to track the source of the leak?

thanks

Clean white paper under car after you drive it? Look for the blue

pingu
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Are you sure it isn't a hose? I thought my heater core was losing coolant but it turned out to be a pinhole in one of the radiator hoses - I couldn't see any deposits forming though.

Mitch90535im
03-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I would aviod "stop leak" type additives. They tend to do more long-term damage than good. Check under the hood when the cars is good and hot after driving. You should be able to spot the leak. Also, I know it's a ways away from Huntsville, but I can highly recommend BMW of Chattanooga if you actually need service. I did a DIY when I replaced my radiator and ended up costing only about $200.

ericole
03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
No, I don't know that it's not a hose. I just know there are drops on the floor. :) What's the best way to track the source of the leak?

thanks

ericole
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I would aviod "stop leak" type additives. They tend to do more long-term damage than good. Check under the hood when the cars is good and hot after driving. You should be able to spot the leak. Also, I know it's a ways away from Huntsville, but I can highly recommend BMW of Chattanooga if you actually need service. I did a DIY when I replaced my radiator and ended up costing only about $200.

Thanks for the info and the recommendation. I used an independent BMW mechanic in VA and he was so reasonable and easy to work with. I think it would be hard to take it to a dealership knowing their labor charges. Plus, it would probably be a little iffy to get to Chattanooga if I needed something replaced. :) Of course there is a dealership in Huntsville.