PDA

View Full Version : Horn probs

Fraz06
03-15-2008, 09:41 AM
hey guys, got abit of a problem with the horn on my 89 520i, I push the horn pad on the steering wheel and nothing happens so i decided to try and investigate, Ist i linked pins 30 and 87 of the horn relay to see if the horn(s) would sound and they didn't, so i took the relay out and checked to see if there was any voltage going to the horn relay and there is over 12 volts going to the horn relay, next i checked to see if there was any voltage at the horn connectors so i took out the connectors that plug into the horn(s) to see if there was any voltage going to the connectors and there was but it was only about 1 volt or so. Does anybody have any idea's as to what could be the problem? and how to fix it?

Thanks guys

Fraser

Ross
03-15-2008, 10:04 AM
There must be corrosion in the wire between the horn and the relay. Probe the wire back from the plug to the horn, the rot usually occurs near the teminations.
I don't know if you used the horn connector for ground also when testing but a poor ground, err earth, could also be the issue.

Fraz06
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Just a quick update on the problem im having with the horn(s) i checked the fuse today and checked to see if there was any voltage going to the fuse and there is 12 volts goin to the fuse, also i took another voltage reading from both the horn connectors this time with a better earth and i got 11.6 volts at the left horn connector and 9 volts at the right horn connector, i then put a direct 12 volt supply to each of the horns using a fully charged 12volt car battery and neither of them sounded. has anybody any idea's what the problem could be?

thanks guys

Fraser