PDA

View Full Version : rusted gas tank

BMWDriver
03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I had mine fixed for the same problem for much less than a replacement. Norbert of BM Service Exclusif in Montréal did it for me. I don't think it was much more than 200$, if not less; I forget but I know I have the receipt.

525i winter driver
03-13-2008, 11:03 AM
well, i went under the car today because i could smell gasoline in the rear all of a sudden. lookie what i found isn't it pretty?
pretty enough to make a grown man's eyes water i'd say...

do i have a choice between plastic and metal?
looking around on the web is very disheartening - any tips on how to minimize the financial damage involved in replacing a gas tank?

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5425&stc=1&d=1234306624

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5426&stc=1&d=1234306624

repenttokyo
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I had mine fixed for the same problem for much less than a replacement. Norbert of BM Service Exclusif in Montréal did it for me. I don't think it was much more than 200$, if not less; I forget but I know I have the receipt.

there is a vendor on ebay who can get me a rust free used tank for 80 dollars. Is installation that expensive?

Is BMW Exclusif on St. Denis?

Ross
03-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I tried to PM you but the forum requires to wait 30 secs. between private messages and further suggests trying again in 6,698 seconds. Ahh
I like this forum but there are definately some bugs.
Go ahead and phone me.
Ross

repenttokyo
03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
As far as I can tell it's maybe a few hours labour to drop and replace the tank if nothing breaks. apparently the e30s are a giant pain but these are way easier.
are you replacing your tank or was that for my benefit? - is that in Canada? how the heck do you ship something like that?
It's on Rivard near Laurier this is bmwdriver's post http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16371

no, it's not in Canada. i have all my parts shipped to my Vermont address and then I bring them across myself. I have a similar leak in my tank if I fill it above 60 litres. There is a good e34 vendor on ebay who says it is easy to ship if you cut part of the filler in such a way that makes it easy to re-attach.

525i winter driver
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I was just about to buckle up and take the car to a place that was recommended to me on Industrial Ave that does that - they quoted $350... I called Norbert and I think I'm going to take it to him tomorrow instead - actually he's almost next door to a good mechanic I know (who recommended the other place tho) and I guess they know each other. Nice tip!

I'm kind of worried about having crap in the tank tho. An exterior repair wouldn't fix any corrosion on the inside that could really screw things up. I thought I was having spark problems because of a cranky alternator but now I'm wondering if there's a whole bunch of crud in my fuel tank causing my minor idle issues. I replaced the fuel filter in September and it was dirty but not filthy, if the tank got badly contaminated it's only since then. I guess if the new filter is still clean I could be fairly worry-free right?

Norbert says he'll replace or send for repair as I say... I guess the moment to decide will unfortunately be after he's already dropped the tank.

Jon K
03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I have an extra fuel tank with no to minimal rust if you're interested

525i winter driver
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I have an extra fuel tank with no to minimal rust if you're interested
Thanks Jon - You're in Pennsylvania? I've never shipped giant used car parts across the border, and I wonder if it's worth the effort for a fuel tank. I imagine it would be a pain for you too. Ross has one in Chicago also - I'm going to try and find out about shipping but I'm thinking it might be way easier for me and only slightly more expensive just to get mine repaired if the inside is ok - and I can get it done faster too. A new one here costs minimum $600 as far as I can find.

525i winter driver
03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
there is a vendor on ebay who can get me a rust free used tank for 80 dollars. Is installation that expensive?

As far as I can tell it's maybe a few hours labour to drop and replace the tank if nothing breaks. apparently the e30s are a giant pain but these are way easier.
are you replacing your tank or was that for my benefit? - is that in Canada? how the heck do you ship something like that?

Is BMW Exclusif on St. Denis?
It's on Rivard near Laurier this is bmwdriver's post http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16371

BMWDriver
03-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I like Norbert. They painted the metal of the rear bumper because it was rusty, when I had my tank fixed (réusiné). Norbert says he had it done on one of his and still has no problems with it after a few years.

Norbert is really attentive to details, and I love him for it.

Montreal525
03-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Norbert is really good, I go see him for all the major issues... He's the one who did the rebuild on my my tranny 2 years ago and it's been smooth sailing since...

Jeff

525i winter driver
03-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I cancelled today with Norbert - Last night I went for a long drive to empty the tank a bit. For the first time ever the engine completely cut out on me - still had electrical power but the motor completely died like I had turned the key off. The tank was about 40% full and the engine was fully warm and I was doing about 50km/h (not accelerating) up a slight incline. After I pulled over for a second (wtfwt?) it started up again right away like nothing happened. As I think I mentioned I've been experiencing a mysterious idle roughness lately (thought alternator but maybe water in tank?) and very occasional hot start troubles. I'm starting to think maybe I'd rather replace this tank than fix it. I also get a bad (zero) fuel level reading below a quarter tank and I want to know if it's the wiring or the sender unit before I get the tank dropped (I was going to tackle this problem when it was warmer but I'm going to figure that out tomorrow I hope).

So yeah guys, I think I am in the market for a gas tank and I don't think I want one that's been lying around in any scrapyards here over the last few months (or weeks even). You'd think I'd know something about shipping... :(

Norbert won't do a used one (but I know a couple of good people who would) and he won't repair mine if it's too cruddy (good)- found out this morning I know someone else who takes his e32 to him and he says nothing but good things. I might just bite it and get a new one but I have to replace the windshield really soon too and I am going oh so broke with this car. decisions, decisions...

BMWDriver
03-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I get the same issue on the gas gauge. I've replaced a leaking capacitor in my cluster, and the problem lessened. It was at a point where the tank would show empty erratically when I got to half or less. The thing's still not quite accurate though I might add. Not a big deal for me since I like to fill her up before it gets on empty. Less money at a time.

As far as your engine cutting out, it sounds like the fusible link is the problem. You'll see a good description of its associated problems on bmwe34.net, a great reference. An easy fix.

525i winter driver
03-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I get the same issue on the gas gauge. I've replaced a leaking capacitor in my cluster, and the problem lessened. It was at a point where the tank would show empty erratically when I got to half or less. The thing's still not quite accurate though I might add. Not a big deal for me since I like to fill her up before it gets on empty. Less money at a time.

As far as your engine cutting out, it sounds like the fusible link is the problem. You'll see a good description of its associated problems on bmwe34.net, a great reference. An easy fix.

I don't think the gas guage is a capacitor problem as the obc reading freezes at the same point that the guage needle goes to zero. this is the only problem i have with the cluster. i checked the fusible link symptoms but they don't seem to match. i didn't lose any electrical power at all, even for a second - the engine just died on me but started up again first time. thanks for the suggestions!

BMWDriver
03-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I also had erroneous readings on the OBC for the gas tank. The plunger was good as Norbert confirmed. You have to remember that the OBC and cluster are linked together and get the information from the same electrical source. The plunger in the gas tank will produce resistance depending on where the buoy is. If that works all right, then the electrical power that goes through to it is probably toast. Capacitors are like batteries, only they don't store the energy. So the one that sends a signal to the gas tank is probably weak so sends not enough energy to it passed a certain point.

But, we do have old cars. And that happened to me often in the first few months I had the car since I gased up late (at a time when gas was cheaper!). I found out I had at least 20 liters (1/4) in when I gased her up then.

If you can live with that as I have decided, then there is no more problem.

525i winter driver
03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
I also had erroneous readings on the OBC for the gas tank. The plunger was good as Norbert confirmed. You have to remember that the OBC and cluster are linked together and get the information from the same electrical source. The plunger in the gas tank will produce resistance depending on where the buoy is. If that works all right, then the electrical power that goes through to it is probably toast. Capacitors are like batteries, only they don't store the energy. So the one that sends a signal to the gas tank is probably weak so sends not enough energy to it passed a certain point.
that is good info, i didn't realize the current originated at the cluster, i thought it came from the check control module. i would like to test the wires before i replace the tank to confirm the level sensor is not the problem. can anyone tell me is there an expected current that i can test for on the blk/red/yel wire leading to the fuel sensor?

BMWDriver
03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
That one turns on the light indicator saying the fuel is very low (switch to turn the red light). I'd go with the other one beside it which is showing that it's the variable resistance the buoy should give.

Come to think of it, do both. Hopefully you know what figures to expect.

ahlem
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Doesn't POR have a gas tank repair process for sealing up the inside?

ahlem
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
OK, so what thread did this end up on?