PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lamps of Fury approach!

Jehu
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Posting Date Drop-off Point Origin

10-Mar-2008 Tai Kok Tsui Post Office Tai Kok Tsui Post Office

Date # Location Delivery Status

10-Mar-2008 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.

10-Mar-2008 Hong Kong In transit.

11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong Processed for departure.

11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 11-
Mar-2008

11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 11-Mar-2008

12-Mar-2008 United States of America Arrived and is being processed.

....... now if only the glass remains unbroken/chipped till i have to pass state inspection in July.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Cool, mine should be here any day now

bmwpower
03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Am I missing something....?

Jehu
03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I am only qualified to answer for my post. I bought Fog Lamps on ebay from Hong Kong. I referenced by merging the subject of my topic with the famous Fists of Fury Bruce Lee Kung Fu Movie to humorously share my anticipation with people who'd helped me out here over the past couple of years. OK?

The info above was pasted from the Chinese Postal Web Site tracking my shipment.

I had always felt hesitant to buy from Asia just because its so far away and I felt I'd have no recourse were I to receive nothing. I just hope the Flu bug didn't hitch a ride.

bmwpower
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Were they really cheap or something? I thought Hellas were the way to go.

Jehu
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Yea they were under $30. for two complete smoked glass lensed e34 fit fog lamps plus shipping it was just over $60. When you find yourself going thru many of these you begin to consider alternatives to dropping $120 a piece for OE Fogs. Even the lenses are nearly $50.00. In my case I needed one full lamp and one lens. That would be $170. I seem to break lenses often and I've already gone thru one new lamp and two new lenses and now i'm in need again so i am trying these. If they function as in they operate, and fit in place I can't see any reason not to use them. Its just a bulb holder after all. These have the projectors and glass lenses what else is there? Maybe they use less durable plastic in the frame or body but I've never had a problem with those breaking just the glass cracking from road debris and on one the wires inside the end cap came off. I tried soldering it but breathing lead fumes didn't suit me. I am not entering my car in any concourse shows for prize money or magazine articles, its my daily driver. It needs to function and pass state inspections . If someone wants to criticize me for not using Hellas they're more than welcome to do so to their heart's content I'm not advocating anything here just sharing my own journey.

uscharalph
03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Lens protectors might be a good idea. It'll protect them and reinforce them.

Paul in NZ
03-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Yea they were under $30. for two complete smoked glass lensed e34 fit fog lamps plus shipping it was just over $60. When you find yourself going thru may of these you begin to consider alternatives to dropping $120 a piece for OE Fogs. Even the lenses are nearly $50.00. In my case I needed one full lamp and one lens. That would be $170. I seem to break lenses often and I've already gone thru one new lamp and two new lenses and now i'm in need again so i am trying these. If they function as in they operate, and fit in place I can't see any reason not to use them. Its just a bulb holder after all. These have the projectors and glass lenses what else is there? Maybe they use less durable plastic in the frame or body but I've never had a problem with those breaking just the glass cracking from road debris and on one the wires inside the end cap came off. I tried soldering it but breathing lead fumes didn't suit me. I am not entering my car in any concourse shows for prize money or magazine articles, its my daily driver. It needs to function and pass state inspections . If someone wants to criticize me for not using Hellas they're more than welcome to do so to their heart's content I'm not advocating anything here just sharing my own journey.
they are only fog lamps...you seem the one who needs convincing reading that story...If i were you i would definetly look at some means of protecting them...

Jehu
03-14-2008, 01:04 AM
I bought them didn't I? I remember Ralph suggesting the lens protectors and as I live within driving distance of Bavarian Autosport I can get them there.
Tracking says they're awaiting Customs Inspection. I suspect that could take weeks if you consider how much stuff must come in from China every day...

attack eagle
03-14-2008, 01:41 AM
US Customs = Kok-blocked?

bmwpower
03-14-2008, 02:52 AM
You could always go without them like me. Just get the covers for the holes.

Jehu
03-14-2008, 03:41 AM
You could always go without them like me. Just get the covers for the holes.

I find them usefull for spotting obstacles when driving on rough, unlit roads,plus how do you shut off the CCM message telling you your fog lamp is out?

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-14-2008, 06:20 PM
We both bought the same set from the same Ebayer...within a day or so.

Let's see who gets their fog lights first.

East coast..or.. middle of the Pacific Ocean.

any gamblers out there?

Posting Date Drop-off Point Origin
10-Mar-2008 Tai Kok Tsui Post Office Tai Kok Tsui Post Office

Date # Location Delivery Status
10-Mar-2008 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
10-Mar-2008 Hong Kong In transit.
11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 12-Mar-2008
11-Mar-2008 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 12-Mar-2008
12-Mar-2008 United States of America Arrived and is being processed.
13-Mar-2008 United States of America In transit.

Jehu
03-14-2008, 09:18 PM
No update past the pending customs. I must be on some list..

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Oh grasshopper, my fog right is faster den your fog right.

You bling disglace on our master.....now must we fight!

Waaaa!

These are F'n nice for the price.

They even have fake "Halla" logos, E1 & Germany on the lens and are H3.

I gonna see if the rear projector assembly from my old pair fits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-Smoke-Projector-Front-Fog-Light-M5-89-95-NEW_W0QQitemZ180223262130QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33709Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bahnstormer
03-15-2008, 09:20 AM
i bought a pair from hong kong also
they're a shoddy fit and the plastic connectors are way crooked lawl
they're cheap tho =P

Jehu
03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
I got mine today. Rubber back cover instead of hard plastic. The rubber surrounding the glass was coming unglued. Well see how they fit and how long they last.

Whats the best thing to use to re-affix that rubber surround ? Rubber cement? waterproof epoxy? Super-glue? That fake Hella logo is funny. I pity the fool who's duped thereby. Made in Germany my a$$..lol..

Jehu
03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I dropped the car off at the Indy today. We went for a drive and he thinks what I'm feeling and hearing is either a Motor Mount or Tranny Mount or both. The alignment issue he suggested may be a tire as it was apprently only very slight but he told me my steering wheel is misaligned as when we were straight on a flat road he pointed out the wheel was cockeyed. He'll examine my subframe mounts and replace them and or motor ,tranny mounts as needed but IF I do not need Rear Subframe Mounts feel free to make an offer no less than $100 USD I'll pay half the shipping for two BMW dealership purchased mounts and both new nuts and bolts. I paid a total of $116 and there would be a 20% restocking fee if i returned them so I figured i;d offer them here IF I DON'T NEED THEM.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I got mine today. Rubber back cover instead of hard plastic. The rubber surrounding the glass was coming unglued. Well see how they fit and how long they last.

Whats the best thing to use to re-affix that rubber surround ? Rubber cement? waterproof epoxy? Super-glue? That fake Hella logo is funny. I pity the fool who's duped thereby. Made in Germany my a$$..lol..

I reglued them with clear silicone

Jehu
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Groovey ,thanks!

Jehu
03-19-2008, 07:53 PM
I reglued them with clear silicone Didn't you say they used the same H1 bulb as the originals? These aren't allowing the bulbs I have from the Originals to seat properly. It looks like I might be able to refit the wire clip with the bulb in place but its obviously not seated in the area manufactured in there . I can't get a reply from the seller either. Maybe H3? I'd hate to have to do this by a process of elimination at like $7.00 a bulb.

attack eagle
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
don't the HKplus hong kong ones use h3?

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-20-2008, 09:22 PM
don't the HKplus hong kong ones use h3?

yup, H3

Jehu
03-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I see what someone said about their fit being a bit off. They are about 1/8" shy of taking up the whole cutout at least on the left so far...peobably wont be noticeable till you're face is down there but I'll take a pic wqhen they're in hopefully tomorrow.

Do you think it'd be smart to maybe seal around the rubber back cover with some removable gummy gunk or window sealer maybe? hate to have that pop off in a rain storm.

Jehu
03-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Got em in

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3227/fogs006vf1.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fogs006vf1.jpg)

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/1240/fogs004si5.th.jpg (http://img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fogs004si5.jpg)

billy
03-22-2008, 08:44 PM
is the concensus then 'Don't buy chinese parts for your BMW'?

Jehu
03-22-2008, 10:22 PM
is the concensus then 'Don't buy chinese parts for your BMW'?

Do they look that bad?

billy
03-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Do they look that bad?

I was refering to the build quality

Jehu
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
I was refering to the build quality

like i noted before the back cover/cap is rubber with these. The Hellas are hard plastic. If these leak or come off easily that might be an issue. Other than that no other dramaticly cheap aspects which were of any concern to me. I'll say something if I have any problems.